Thread: Bug Fear Causing Anxiety

Bug Fear Causing Anxiety

So I didn’t expect to get anxious tonight, but of course, that’s not the case.
    Living in Arizona, it’s kind of a given that we get bugs in our house all the time. Spiders, roaches, gnats, moths, you name it. Even baby scorpions have managed to come into our house.
    My family and I went to go see Toy Story 4 tonight (childhood fulfilled), and when we came home, there was a spider and a baby scorpion in our house (spider in the laundry room, baby scorpion in the hallway by our front door), and as you would assume, I was not pleased to see them LOL.
    I’ve always had this fear of bugs, I think most people do, but because of the creatures we get in our house, it frightens me a little bit more because of the severity of some of them. One of my biggest fears is being bitten by a spider or scorpion, and then facing serious consequences because of those bites. Especially the fear of them biting me while I’m asleep (somehow getting in my bed).
    Does anyone have any tips about this sort of thing? Because I’d appreciate it

Re: Bug Fear Causing Anxiety

This may be a good thing to discuss with your therapist.

I'm in the UK, and last year I was scoffing about a bunch of schools here closing temporarily because of poisonous spider infestations. In this country, spiders are harmless.

I think you can guess what happened next - there were no lasting consequences but the pain was pretty nasty.

Not sure what help I can offer here, but if things like this are common in your part of the world, then if the worst dies happen, local medical personnel will know how to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamden View Post
    Does anyone have any tips about this sort of thing? Because I’d appreciate it
    Get a cat. Everyone gets bugs in their home. Be it a fly, ants, a spider etc. I spray insecticide outside to help prevent it and our cat takes care of anything else. I often find a dead fly or spider that he's killed. He's good too! I've seen him literally catch a fly in mid air and they're great companions too

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you both for your responses!

@BlueIris that doesn’t sound fun at all! I can’t imagine. But you’re right, medical personnel will know what to do if that does happen. That’s always good to note.

@Fishmanpa my grandmother has two cats and whenever I go visit her, one of them always is on the hunt for bugs. It is the funniest thing ever. If I could convince my parents to do that, boy would I do it in a heartbeat, but..... I’m also moving out of the house soon for college LOL. So it may be too late haha

@Fishmanpa my grandmother has two cats and whenever I go visit her, one of them always is on the hunt for bugs. It is the funniest thing ever. If I could convince my parents to do that, boy would I do it in a heartbeat, but..... I’m also moving out of the house soon for college LOL. So it may be too late haha
    True, they don't allow pets in dorms :( But seriously, cats are great hunters. When you get to the point in life where you get your own place, I hope you'll remember my advice. I've always had pets. Dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits , guinea pigs etc. I got Socrates (Pixie Bob) over 8 years ago and he has been by far the best pet I've ever shared my life with My wife has a deathly fear of spiders. She literally melts down even seeing a pic of them. She has seen one, gotten Socrates and he's taken care it stat! On top of that, he's the sweetest cat I've ever known (partial yes, but still). On top of that, pets are very good for anxiety. No matter how you feel or how bad your day has been, they'll love you and comfort you unconditionally.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Oh trust me, the moment I get my own place, I’m getting a pet of some kind. I’m ready to love a thing like that unconditionally haha!

. If I could convince my parents to do that, boy would I do it in a heartbeat, but.....
    You want to train your parents to hunt bugs around the house?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    You want to train your parents to hunt bugs around the house?
    As if they already don't kill enough already

A poem.
    My room was infested with tiny ants when I woke up this morning.
    There were two spiders in the hallway that we had to kill.
    Thank goodness the bug guy is coming today.
    I still hate bugs.
    Thanks for listening to my poem.

Thread Information