Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Raised Anxiety after starting Ven

Re: Raised Anxiety after starting Ven

Hi Maca, I am on day 3 of cross tapering 10mg escitalopram and 75mg Venlafaxine and like yourself I take 30mg Mirtazapine at night. Next week my psychiatrist is going to increase me to 150mg and stop the escitalopram. She says that at 75mg venlafaxine acts as an SSRI but it starts to affect the Noradrenaline transmitter at higher doses and this is better for anxiety. Maybe you will get a better effect if you increase again? It’s a scary thought I know (I also have a small supply of diazepam to take in case the anxiety gets really bad.)

Yes I will see what dr says on next visit on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo79 View Post
    Hi Maca, I am on day 3 of cross tapering 10mg escitalopram and 75mg Venlafaxine and like yourself I take 30mg Mirtazapine at night. Next week my psychiatrist is going to increase me to 150mg and stop the escitalopram. She says that at 75mg venlafaxine acts as an SSRI but it starts to affect the Noradrenaline transmitter at higher doses and this is better for anxiety. Maybe you will get a better effect if you increase again? It’s a scary thought I know (I also have a small supply of diazepam to take in case the anxiety gets really bad.)
    Keep posting on how your getting on, I think me raised anxiety is getting better after it went sky high @ about day 3 on Ven. Could be me being anxious about med changes but I do believe the med is a factor.

So glad you had a better day. Fingers crossed you're through the worst of the side effects now. I totally understand not feeling able to control the panic when it gets like that. Have you tried the "sigh breath"? I can't remember the exact procedure but can look it up, but basically you force yourself to sigh and I think the theory is that it helps to regulate your O2/Co2 levels. Another thing I sometimes find is that when I'm anxious about a situation, I subconsciously tense a lot of muscles, and so sometimes consciously relaxing them again can help.

75mg XR in the morning sounds a good plan. Do you find the "on edge" feeling improves after you take your dose in the morning?

Hope you're feeling ok today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    So glad you had a better day. Fingers crossed you're through the worst of the side effects now. I totally understand not feeling able to control the panic when it gets like that. Have you tried the "sigh breath"? I can't remember the exact procedure but can look it up, but basically you force yourself to sigh and I think the theory is that it helps to regulate your O2/Co2 levels. Another thing I sometimes find is that when I'm anxious about a situation, I subconsciously tense a lot of muscles, and so sometimes consciously relaxing them again can help.

75mg XR in the morning sounds a good plan. Do you find the "on edge" feeling improves after you take your dose in the morning?

Hope you're feeling ok today.
    At the moment the on edge/anxiety is in the morning and lasts until about an hour or so after I start work at 2pm. I didn't sleep well last night woke up in a panic so sat in summer room with my cat until it went so knackered today. I do a breathing exercise where you breath in for a count of 4 hold 4 breath out 4 and repeat. Problem is that when I'm really out of control anxious nothing helps I just let it run its course.

Can't say I feel better but I'm not feeling worse so that's a + i suppose.

I'm sorry you had a rough night. Cat cuddles are always soothing Yes, when panic takes hold it's really hard to remember the strategies. It's positive though that you recognise it for what it is and just let it go.

When do you go back to the GP? Are they going to reduce or just stop your mirtazapine?

I hope you're having a good day today

Hi, yes I often look at my cats and wish I could relax like they can they have mastered the art.

Today not so bad so far and did sleep so feel refreshed. I think the idea is to reduce then stop the Mirt but I am going to suggest we might try a low dose of Mirt pm to help with sleep. I do have Zopliclone but that's not great long term also when my panic was so bad the other day I took half a Zop to calm down I was working at the time stuck in Southampton in the van so had to pull over and get things under control, that panic was very intense.

The panic/anxiety attacks are still intense but do not last long so I am hoping things are starting to settle down. Have been sleeping but not deeply but do not feel tired in the day so must be getting sleep. Have been able to get off my bum and do some garden work all be it just a little but still something.

Hey Maca. That sounds positive and well done for sticking it out. I think managing to get with some things like gardening is a great thing to do. I find it quite therapeutic and satisfying. I'm sorry you're still having panic attacks, but it sounds like you're getting through them. I don't know much about zopiclone - took it briefly many years ago and remember getting an awful taste in my mouth, and then the GP refused to prescribe them, so that was that. I would say it's definitely worth chatting to your GP about carrying on with a small dose of mirtazapine if your sleep is still difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    Hey Maca. That sounds positive and well done for sticking it out. I think managing to get with some things like gardening is a great thing to do. I find it quite therapeutic and satisfying. I'm sorry you're still having panic attacks, but it sounds like you're getting through them. I don't know much about zopiclone - took it briefly many years ago and remember getting an awful taste in my mouth, and then the GP refused to prescribe them, so that was that. I would say it's definitely worth chatting to your GP about carrying on with a small dose of mirtazapine if your sleep is still difficult.
    Hi Dying Swan,
    Yes the Zopliclone sedates me and I take one before bed. But I do have a problem as I really shouldn't be taking half in the day when really in panic mode but they do sedate me and stop the panic. My GP knows about this and that is why we are working towards a slow reduction of Zop in the hope that the Ven starts to work. The Zop should only be taken for a few days really simply because you can become addicted to it as I have. Still on the bright side, at least I have managed to get some work done today.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information