Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tender spot on right breast

Tender spot on right breast

Hello ladies,

I have one spot on my right breast that hurts when pressed. I noticed it more when I was turning over in bed the other day. I felt around for lumps and can’t feel anything obvious. My husband also felt it and can’t feel anything. I’m not googling this time. Has anyone ever had this? Should I go to the docs? And the area that hurts is below the nipple. Right at the bottom.

I’m a 31 year old female btw.

Re: Tender spot on right breast

I've had some breast concerns lately and honestly the only the thing that put my fears to rest was seeing my doctor. I imagine you have possibly hurt yourself and maybe forgotten or it could just be hormonal. It doesn't sound sinister but I'm no expert. A quick visit to your doctor will set your fears aside I'm sure.

I personally wouldn't go to the doctor at this point, I think most women have had times in their lives when an odd pain appears in one breast or the other. Firstly you can find nothing that is concerning from your manual examination (presuming you did the correct manual examination; i.e. lying down not using fingers tips etc etc). Breast tissue is like any other tissue, it can get bruised internally, have nerves that play up, get hurt from bangs or ill-fitting bras or lying on your breast in an awkward way, or react to hormonal changes. Pain when pressed, as a symptom on its own, is highly hugely exceedingly unlikely to be anything concerning. If I was you, I would monitor for a few weeks or months. BY 'monitor' I don't mean press it every few hours and prod around lol, I mean leave it well alone and maybe have a look each week at the breast shape in general and the specific area. Pressing and prodding by itself can cause inflammation and bruising. Even IF there is something that is causing the pain internally, then benign causes are the most likely reason anyway, especially for a 31 year old!. If you notice changes over the next few weeks and months, then of course go visit the GP.
    Last edited by Carys; 16-07-19 at 12:56.

Hi!

Thank you for replying guys! I noticed that my right breast (the one that’s a bit tender) has a darker Areola than the left. I don’t know if it was always like this to be honest, I have naturally brown nipple. The left one seems to be a bit lighter. Is this worth checking out? All I can find on google is that it can be Pagets or Inflammatory breast cancer :( Kind of really scared

It was probably always like that, and Google isn't your friend.

Thanks BlueIris. I hope so!

Ladies I know no one can help me online but I’m really panicking. I read that localized one sided pain is more often a sign of cancer than diffuse pain in one breast. I am only 31 :( But according to stats there is a 1 in 228 risk of getting B.C. at this age. I’m just worried because the pain is ONLY there when I press that area or sleep on that side. Otherwise it’s not there.

I’m trying to get a doc appointment but my doc is not in til Monday. I can’t make appointments in advance because then it’s all I think about and it gives me anxiety. So I’m planning on calling Monday to get an appointment for that day. But I am such a wreck. I was looking for reassurance on google because I couldn’t find posts like mine on NMP. But instead of reassurance I found scary information (obviously)

You absolutely WILL NOT find reassurance on google, you will find cancer cancer cancer. Simple as that. I really don't know why you thought you would find reassurance?

You are not reading stats correctly at all. This is obviously what you read....

Is breast cancer common in 30 year olds?

This means that 1 in 1,732 women in this age group can expect to develop breast cancer. Put another way, your odds of developing breast cancer if you are in this age range are 1 in 1,732. If your current age is 30, the probability of developing invasive breast cancer in the next 10 years is .44%, or 1 in 228.
    You are reading something called the 'absolute' risk for the next 10 years!

Absolute risk is used to describe an individual’s likelihood of developing breast cancer. It is based on the number of people who will develop breast cancer within a certain time period.
    Breast cancer under the age of 40 is not that common, infact I've just checked our UK cancer research stats and in your age range of 30-34 years old there are 30 cases per 100,000 people anually. This then rises to the peak ages of diagnosis which are 65+ and is obviously much higher. I've checked US stats and it is about the same 25-30 cases per 100,000 people diagnosed with breast cancer per year at your age. I think you will agree that is VASTLY different to what you think it is.

Now, if you were to look up benign diagnoses in your age range for breast issues, those would be the largest factor. Of course 'some' people get it, but you are describing no other symptoms than a pain you can feel if you press. See your doctor if you feel it is the right thing to do, but its not an emergency

I will also repeat my post from the start of this thread....

I personally wouldn't go to the doctor at this point, I think most women have had times in their lives when an odd pain appears in one breast or the other. Firstly you can find nothing that is concerning from your manual examination (presuming you did the correct manual examination; i.e. lying down not using fingers tips etc etc). Breast tissue is like any other tissue, it can get bruised internally, have nerves that play up, get hurt from bangs or ill-fitting bras or lying on your breast in an awkward way, or react to hormonal changes. Pain when pressed, as a symptom on its own, is highly hugely exceedingly unlikely to be anything concerning. If I was you, I would monitor for a few weeks or months. BY 'monitor' I don't mean press it every few hours and prod around lol, I mean leave it well alone and maybe have a look each week at the breast shape in general and the specific area. Pressing and prodding by itself can cause inflammation and bruising. Even IF there is something that is causing the pain internally, then benign causes are the most likely reason anyway, especially for a 31 year old!. If you notice changes over the next few weeks and months, then of course go visit the GP.
    That was only 2 days ago.....and you've not monitored and given it a bit of time to see what happens/changes.....instead of that you have freaked yourself out, probably bothered it constantly and are now panicking.

Thank you Carys. I didn’t know those statistics. I feel better knowing the incidence of it is lower than I thought. I have checked for lumps and things roughly. I haven’t laid myself down and done a proper exam because if I do feel something I will lose it. But I have checked while standing and while laying down and I don’t feel anything out of the ordinary. My husband also checked and couldn’t find anything. Maybe I should do a proper self-exam to really judge the seriousness of the situation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information