Thread: Weird crumple/creaky feeling occasionally when I breathe in?

Weird crumple/creaky feeling occasionally when I breathe in?

Hi everyone, today Iíve been getting on and off this weird creaky feeling in one spot on my back ribs when I breathe in. It isnít painful at all, just feels weird, like a bag being crumpled up for a second or two. I am paranoid this means I will have a spontaneous lung collapse at any second, as I am tall and thin (donít smoke or have any family history of that though). Thatís something Iíve been paranoid about getting ever since I first read about it online.

I do have pretty bad acid reflux/indigestion, as well as seasonal allergies, could either of these be the culprit? Iíve been burping a ton today.

I also could replicate almost the exact feeling in a different area on my chest just by pressing on my ribs earlier (now I canít for whatever reason) - does that mean itís definitely not my lungs? I did work out pretty hard for the first time in a while 4 days ago (chest and arms)...could that be it? Iím 19 years old btw.

Re: Weird crumple/creaky feeling occasionally when I breathe in?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Hi everyone, today I’ve been getting on and off this weird creaky feeling in one spot on my back ribs when I breathe in. It isn’t painful at all, just feels weird, like a bag being crumpled up for a second or two. I am paranoid this means I will have a spontaneous lung collapse at any second, as I am tall and thin (don’t smoke or have any family history of that though). That’s something I’ve been paranoid about getting ever since I first read about it online.

I do have pretty bad acid reflux/indigestion, as well as seasonal allergies, could either of these be the culprit? I’ve been burping a ton today.

I also could replicate almost the exact feeling in a different area on my chest just by pressing on my ribs earlier (now I can’t for whatever reason) - does that mean it’s definitely not my lungs? I did work out pretty hard for the first time in a while 4 days ago (chest and arms)...could that be it? I’m 19 years old btw.
    This is what's causing it. It's just a bit of mucus in the airway.

I used to get this when I was a smoker

Does this describe it: it feels more superficial, than deep in the airways? As if its between your lungs and chest wall?

If your answer is yes:

The good news: this happened a lot of times to me over the period of time I smoked and I'm still alive and (apparently) very well

The bad news: never found out what it was. But as I'm still here (and this was about 5 years ago) I don't think the cause matters!

Good lucj

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    I used to get this when I was a smoker

Does this describe it: it feels more superficial, than deep in the airways? As if its between your lungs and chest wall?

If your answer is yes:

The good news: this happened a lot of times to me over the period of time I smoked and I'm still alive and (apparently) very well

The bad news: never found out what it was. But as I'm still here (and this was about 5 years ago) I don't think the cause matters!

Good lucj
    Hi, yeah it basically feels like it's almost my ribs themselves creaking. It happens occasionally when I move a certain way or breathe, but it isn't consistent at all. As I said, once in a while if I press on my ribs (both sides) I can replicate the creaky feeling - surely that would have nothing to do with my lungs then, right?

I'll also note that when I lay down totally flat after being up and about for a while I'll get a brief burst of like an aching pain in my back and chest where my ribs are. It goes away after like 10 seconds.

Thread Information