Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle twitching driving me to distraction

Muscle twitching driving me to distraction

About 4 years ago I had a spate of muscle twitches in my legs which went away after a few weeks. However about 2 months ago it started up again in my calves and it’s constant affecting my mood and sleep. This time it’s also painful which is really worrying me. Again I’ve startec down the rabbit hole of ALS and convinced myself I’m on the way out. There doesn’t seem to be a reason why it’s startec as I’ve not been particularly anxious. Im currently away on holiday but can’t enjpy it as I’m so worried..... an anyone relate or reassure me. Many thanks

Re: Muscle twitching driving me to distraction

Hello worried,

I can totally relate. I experience muscle twitches all the time. At the gym yesterday my buddies left quad was twitching almost constantly as he was performing squats. He just laughed and said his shoulder was twitching earlier that morning. It happens. By the way he was still able to squat 450lbs for 6 reps. Twitches without muscle function failure are completely harmless and unrelated to ALS or any other disease for that matter. Also, you mention your experiencing pain this go around. ALS affects motor neurons which are for movement only. Sensory neurons are responsible for pain. ALS and all other motor neuron deseases affect motor neurons only. Common sense can illusive when an anxious mind is running wild. Don't let's your anxiety outsmart you. Your good to go.

Take care

Thanks so much for replying. It means a lot. It’s just so hard to believe there’s a benign reason behind it. I just wish it would go away!

Update 30/7. Finally went to my GP today and told him about my symptoms and my health worry. He wasn’t too concerned about my ALS fear but said it was unlikely. He has started me on Setraline 50 mcg and has asled to see me in a month. Has anyone on here tried this medication for HA and if so has it helped? The dr says the next 2 weeks will be difficult with side effects. Thanks Lisa

Try taking some electrolytes for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

I had muscle twitches quite bad for a period of time, couldn't stop thinking about it and Googling the causes (don't do that). In the end I started taking vitamin D and within a couple of weeks I was fine!

What's up worried,

Keep in mind that setraline, as well as other medications will not treat the muscle twitching. They may help change the way you react to them. Twitching is usually caused by electrolyte imbalance, fatigue, anxiety or any combination of all. Accepting this completely normal occurrence is the best way to move on.

Take care

Thanks for replying Yourboy, Sam and Joe. I think for me I can cope with symptoms like the twitching and tingling if I knew for sure that they don’t have a sinister reason. It’s the what if that goes round and round in my head. I’m hoping the meds will help but last night was horrible I woke up in a cold sweat with a migraine after only 1 dose. Surely that’s too soon to have a reaction?

It's not too soon. Some may experience side effects after one dose. Others may not notice adverse effects for a week or so, a few won't notice much at all. Remember, you visited your gp and he was not concerned about your symptoms from a physical standpoint and neither should you be. Goodluck moving forward.

Take care

Thanks for replying. Much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information