Thread: Blood pressure panic

Blood pressure panic

I've had the single worst night for anxiety that I've ever had tonight. It's been shocking. Long story short, I'm an Australian who moved to England last year and is now heading home because it's easier to access good mental health care at home and I desperately need it.

I've recently (intentionally) lost 4 stone 7 pounds (30kg) and now weigh 80kg. I don't smoke. I don't drink alcohol. I've cut caffeine entirely from my diet. Of course, anxiety lingers because I haven't had the right support as it has worsened while living in the UK.

I've had what doctors have suspected is white coat hypertension as I have a phobia of getting my blood pressure measured. When the thing goes off, I go full blown panic mode and I can't stop it. Exposure therapy kind of works but yeah... It's a tough one. I just hate it. As you can imagine, my blood pressure is ALWAYS high. Except this one time, when the doctor told me I was fine before checking it so I was in an instant state of relaxation. That one time, it came back 120/80.

Recently, my doctor suggested I get a take-home monitor to measure where I'm at. I've done that tonight and it's running high again (yay for anxiety when it goes off).

It is all I can think about and I cannot relax when it goes off. This is ruining my life. I'm too scared to exercise properly, too scared to fly in case I have a god damn aneurysm due to it, I'm living my life in fear.

I have an appointment again tomorrow but this is just killing me.

Re: Blood pressure panic

You don't say how high though and you need to make sure you are doing it exactly right when taking it yourself

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Really high. Like 150-160/100... I've been shown how to do so and I'm fairly sure it's right... Tomorrow's appointment is D-day.

What's up Nick

Man, I know where your coming from. I always tense up and get anxious when getting my blood pressure taken at the doctors. I don't go very often but I've been that way since I was a young teenager. I'm in my 30s now so for a while. When i check my own at work its always fine. Try your best to relax while and before taking it yourself. Maybe lay on the sofa for a bit with your eyes shut first. I'm betting your anxiety is the reason you got a high reading when you checked yourself. You are way too amped up and your probably going to have to chill out a bit and take another swing at it after you've relaxed. I know easier said then done but you got this. Good luck and take care

I have this too. I realized if i distract myself while taking my BP, it doesn’t go as high. I start reading a book with the cuff on and in a few minutes reach over and push the button while continuing to read and concentrate on what I’m reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your GP has concerns they can fit a 24hr ambulatory unit. Home testing isn't great and if you don't need it (unless this is part of your exposure therapy) it is going to likely become a problem because of it becoming compulsive hence feeding your anxiety.

When you put the unit on do you sit with your legs uncrossed and feet touching the ground? Do you breathe normally? Do youstay silent as speaking affects blood pressure? Do you make sure you haven't done any strenous activity within 30 minutes? All these are what nurses say are part of their testing regimes.

I had a swift walk to my surgery for a couple of mine and it was a little high so the nurse asked me to regulate my breathing and this did bring it back down. Pick a spot on the wall in front of you and spend a couple of minutes looking at it whilst wearing the cuff and breathing normally. Then try the test.

I used to have white coat hypertension also. For years I HATED and absolutely dreaded having my blood pressure taken. The second the cuff would start to tighten I would go into full blown panic mode, causing high bp, which in turn created more anxiety. It all started during my first pregnancy.
    I ended up talking with my therapist about it in depth. What really helped me was to make light of it. He suggested to think of my anxiety about having my bp taken as something silly, not sinister. I would openly talk with my Dr. about my anxiety about having my bp taken and by joking about it, I felt so much lighter. It wasn’t this scary thing to dread, because at the end of the day, it isn’t painful or sinister, it’s just a routine practice. And random high bp due to anxiety isn’t dangerous, it’s your body’s healthy response to fight or flight. It’s only concerning if it’s chronic, which even then can easily be managed.

Take two or three readings, each about a minute apart. Discard the first reading, and average the remaining readings. That's what I see a lot of people recommending online (not for anxiety, but for anyone who must monitor at home). My doc agreed that it's perfectly reasonable and often recommended. I've found that it makes a significant difference for me. I don't check often at all anymore, but when I do this is the method I go with.

I don't get as anxious as I used to, but I can still feel some anxiety when I start checking it. First reading is often 135-145/85-90. Second and third readings are typically 120ish/low 70s.

Thread Information