Thread: How long should I give it?

How long should I give it?

Hi guys,

I've been on Sertraline for the past four weeks, initially at 25mg for two weeks and up to 50mg for the last two. The side effects have mainly been heightened anxiety but I'm coping just about. I saw the psych yesterday who said to give it another month as my body's still getting used to it.

I'm guessing that having only been on 50mg for two weeks that I might start feeling some benefits in another 2-4 weeks. I was just wondering how long other people gave it before deciding if it worked for them or not?

I'm also on 600mg of Pregabalin but have built up a tolerance annoyingly so it's not as effective as it once was.

Re: How long should I give it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I'm guessing that having only been on 50mg for two weeks that I might start feeling some benefits in another 2-4 weeks.
    Antidepressants typically take 4-12 weeks to lick-in from when a therapeutic dose (50mg for sertraline) is first taken so you may have a way to go. You may also need more than 50mg to get optimum results.

Antidepressants have no direct effect on anxiety (or depression) in the way say aspirin has on a headache (or pregabalin on anxiety). They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly, and the cells take time to bud, grow and mature. For a more detailed explanation see: How antidepressant drugs act.

Hi panic_down_under,

Thank you, that's reassuring to hear. I'll persevere on it and hope that it'll start working soon. I'm glad that I did start on the 25mg due to the side effects although I know it's lengthened that amount of time it'll take to kick in.

It took 6 weeks for the side effects to settle for me then I stayed on 50mg for 3 years.
    I really didn't like it so swapped to 10mg Lexapro instead.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I still have mine in my bag that my doctor gave me over two months ago. Still yet to try them as i hear the side effects are awful

Quote Originally Posted by jj1995 View Post
    still have mine in my bag that my doctor gave me over two months ago.
    The person that works out how to get pills to work by just staring at them is going to become richer than Croesus.

Still yet to try them as i hear the side effects are awful
    Support groups such as this one can provide a distorted picture as it is the few experiencing harsh side-effects that post about them, not the overwhelming majority with little to no issues. Unfortunately, an anxious mind is quite capable of delivering your worst nightmare for you if you convince yourself that you'll suffer greatly.

The trick is to start on a low dose, no more than 25mg and 12.5mg may be even better, so ask your doctor if you can cut the tablets (pill cutters are more accurate and less bloody than knives, ime), or if it's available get sertraline liquid. Increase the dose by the same amount every 7-10 days until you get to the prescribed dose.

Hi guys,

I completely agree with panic_down_under, the majority of reviews on medications will be from people who have had a negative experience but is also a minority of users. It's also very common to be anxious about side effects but the important thing to know is that they do settle down.

Phill2- have you found that Lexapro has helped you compared to Sertraline since you've been taking it?

Hi Writer
    I found the Lexapro much gentler but still very effective even at only 10mg/day.
    I didn't like Sertraline at all.
    In my opinion Drs are far too quick to up dosage of any anti ADs

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hi Phill2,

That's good to hear, I'm glad it's worked well for you I'll stick with Sertraline for a while more but if I find it's not helping then I'll talk to the psych and ask about Lexapro as an alternative.

Thanks for the advice! I do need to give them a try as im not 'living' at the moment. I just hope if i take one i don't freak out and have a panic attack.

Thread Information