Thread: Sudden sustatined fast heart rate, visited ER, Apple watch..

Sudden sustatined fast heart rate, visited ER, Apple watch..

I wear an Apple watch (and yes I have anxiety!). My normal HR while sleeping (for a year) has been about 54 - 70 beats. During the day under 110 when walking around and during exercise it peaks out at 130 etc (fat burn).

Last night I was laying on bed watching Netflix and noticed my heart was fast. I looked at watch and saw that it had slowly been raising all day.. From 80's to 110s.. Over the next 30 min it went to 120, 130, 140, 155.. All while I was starting to freak out. I thought, 'wow, so this is what a panic attack 'looks' like - on the visual screen).
    I considered that I was stuck in a terrible feedback loop - me looking at watch, it registering high, me getting more anxious and looking at watch.. etc.

I took 1mg of Xanax and still after an hour it was in the 135 - 150 range... I ended up going to the ER last night at 2am. They did an EKG (fine rhythm, no palps or sign of heart attack) - told me to take another 0.25 of Xanax and go home. By the time I left my HR fell from 150 to 115.

I didn't wear my watch last night, so drugged up I just passed out at home... When I woke up 20 min ago I expected to have 'reset' my HR.. find it back in the 70's or 80's after long night of sleep.. Instead it's hovering around 100... 98, 105, 101.. etc.

It's true I do feel a little anxious (1 - 5) about a 3.5..... But that's mainly due just to seeing my elevated HR at rest.

Could panic disorder last this long? All through the night? Just sitting in a chair should I be at 100?
    Or should I go see another doctor? What would they look for?

Thanks,

Re: Sudden sustatined fast heart rate, visited ER, Apple watch..

Anxiety can indeed last that long and the heart can stay sensitive and beat quicker than normal for a long time, in my experience.

Heart arrhythmias almost always start and stop instantly. Anxiety can increase and decrease quickly or slowly but is never an instant change in heart rate.

Since what you describe had gradual climb up and down, it's almost certainly anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaahhfreakout View Post
    Anxiety can indeed last that long and the heart can stay sensitive and beat quicker than normal for a long time, in my experience.

Heart arrhythmias almost always start and stop instantly. Anxiety can increase and decrease quickly or slowly but is never an instant change in heart rate.

Since what you describe had gradual climb up and down, it's almost certainly anxiety.
    Thanks,

Just an update. It turned I just needed to up my dosage of Xanax. I moved from 0.25 every 6hr to 0.50 every 8hr and HR is back to normal with no problems.

Now been prescribed Lexapro 10mg to take, then start slowly weaning myself off the Xanax.

Good to hear it's working out.

Thread Information