Thread: Earworm again....sigh

Earworm again....sigh

So, I didn't exactly realize how long I was dealing with it until I saw my first post about it. This started in early 2012...so 7 long years! I have a song that will intermittenlty pop into my head, and it's the same one and it just doesn't seem to leave. It's actually been a while since it's really been in my head, so I thought maybe it was just kind of finally done. Unfortunately, now that it's back, I feel like the song will never really go away. And the only way it really goes away isn't if I get another song stuck in my head, but it I simply just forget about it.

Now, it's been 3 days, and it's still here. And the usual stuff is going on...I have anxiety, it's literally sitting in my head waiting to play, nervousness, the whole nine yards. I just can't believe it's been 7 years...which means it will probably be around forever. I just wonder why this one particular song has latched on in my brain. What sometimes does happen is the song will pop in my head but I'll be able to quickly oppress it, whereas for some reason this time I'm not able to do that so easily. But, why do I have to just forget about it, and why not have it leave permanently like any other song that gets stuck in my head? Has anyone else had an issue this bad? I feel like this is a form of OCD, but 7 years of the same song intermittently? Isn't that too long? And one thing I notice now, I have never gotten a song stuck in my head since I heard this song 7 years ago.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post on here since some of the best advice I've ever gotten is on this page. Thank you all!

Re: Earworm again....sigh

I’m sorry I have no experience of this but I know it must be frustrating, a different version of intrusive thoughts. Have you sought any help? I wish I could offer more advice.

When this first began, I was prescribed Citalopram. I was hoping that would calm me down and relax my mind, but that didn’t work. However, I honestly don’t know what would work anymore. I was able to rid it for a few weeks, but it has come back and it was pretty bad this morning. I woke up in a panic and I feel like my day is just dragging on. It’s literally driving me nuts, and it’s scaring me into a panic.

It is a commonly known fact amongst the OCD community that a lot of us have music playing in our head 24/7. I’m not saying you have OCD just that this is a common thing.

Apparently if you listen to the song all the way through and pay attention to every part carefully this can get it out of your head. It is suppose to work because scientists think earworms are your brain getting stuck on a certain part of the song and it plays it over and over again because it doesn’t know how to finish it.

I’m almost positive I have OCD. If it was a bunch of different songs I think I’d actually be okay. But this particular song is stuck permanently I think. Because it’s still there now, and I’ve tried everything from trying to dislodge it with another song, I’ve listened to the song more than I can imagine to no avail. Like I would usually be able to just forget it, but it won’t leave now. It’s been about 9 days I think, and it’s just miserable.

Would this be more of an intrusive thought versus an earworm since it’s been so long?

Thread Information