Thread: PPIs and mental health

PPIs and mental health

I am about to see the GP regarding an endoscopy which showed I have three gastric erosions. I have been told that I will need to go on a PPI and am dreading it due to the side effects I have experienced in the past on them. They lower my mood causing anxiety and some depression, also making me feel bad physically. I don't know if this is to do with the brain/gut axis or what. They are supposed to be very well tolerated, but there is certainly evidence that some people get psychiatric symptoms on them, I wish I knew why this happens to some and not to others. I am considering going on to an antidepressant while I am on PPIs in the hope it might counteract these side effects.

I know most people can take these without any problems and I really envy them, but can anyone who is/has taken them please let me know if they have experienced the same symptoms and if you have found any of the PPIs less troublesome than others, also if anything helped with the side effects. I have tried Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, Esomprazole (I thought I'd have a nervous breakdown on that one!) I have also tried the H2 blockers and they give me similar symptoms plus insomnia.

Many thanks.

Belle
    Last edited by Belleblue; 20-07-19 at 10:23.

Thread Information