Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone on here take meds like beta blockers for bp?

Does anyone on here take meds like beta blockers for bp?

I have not been prescribed meds. I’m 41 my bp is very high at dr like 165/90 then it will drop like 20 points on repeat reading. My dr has always said anxiety and it’s true I’m in a panic. I can’t even check at home as I panic and obsess. My pulse races. My dr has even always renewed my birth control pill.

Anyway I’m still scared that someday I’ll have to take bp pills. I’m in good shape seemingly at least. I’m slim my resting pulse is 60s I walk 15 miles 4 or 5 days a week. I run up stairs. I think I do this to myself. I’m petrified of drs machines etc. A coworker told me they takr beta blockers and I heard they can help anxiety. Then I read no coffee. I love coffee and it never effects my pulse and when I use to obsessively take my bp it was actually usually lower after coffee. I am just wondering if I do have to Take these meds one day is it the end of all coffee and wine because to me that’s hell.

Re: Does anyone on here take meds like beta blockers for bp?

I have heart disease. I've had two heart attacks, a triple bypass and stents. I take a BP med, beta blockers and blood thinners. While I've been able to reduce the dosage through lifestyle changes, I still have to take them. I'm just thankful a little pill can help keep me alive

As far as the coffee and wine? I love coffee and wine too but due to my medications, I've had to practically eliminate alcohol and coffee. It wasn't that difficult TBH. I still have coffee a few times a month and enjoy an alcoholic beverage with a good meal now and again. Its just part of the "new normal".

If it ever gets to that point in your life, just keep what I said in mind.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you. I think st thst point I’d be able to do it. Now I actually feel great but my bizarre form of anxiety means when I feel great I think uh oh this can’t last disaster is looming. I think it’s partly that I was a miserable kid no abuse from my parents but a terrible relationship with my mom and the bigger problem serious bullying. The kind that these days would be on the news no joke. My adult hood has been great good marriage good career but I always have this fear disaster will strike. I’m a special ed teacher and believe it or not I’m a whiz at calming hysterical frightened kids with disabilities. After my dad died we got on well I developed health anxiety. Then my bp always low shot up at drs then this. Happy for months doing well then intrusive thoughts. Getting worse with age I guess i fear the good years are flying by. My husband says the irony is I’m in seemingly great shape best I ever been in based on appearance and ability to run etc not bp

I guess my big thing is i don’t wan to take these meds fir something I’m doing to myself. But nothing not breathing exercises not calmimh thoughts helps my white coat

Beta blockers have no effect on anxiety whatsoever. All the do is reduce the effect adrenaline has on your heart rate. It doesn't reduce anxiety, just lowers one potential symptom.

Coffee doesn't have to make your heart speed up to have a negative effect on anxiety either. It's a stimulant, and puts stress on your body. It's ideal to not drink coffee if you suffer with anxiety, whether you think it's affecting you or not. Same deal with alcohol.

They are used to treat anxiety From what I’ve read. I drink one cup of coffee a day rarely two so not to excess. I don’t have any plans to give it up as it’s a source of happiness and relaxation for me if anything. My question was more can you take it with the meds. Now if one day I had gone through major issues I’d certainly reduce it but I can’t imagine quitting it completely

Beta Blockers essentially put a ceiling on how hard your heart works. That's why they're effective for anxiety. While they don't change the mindset, they limit the physical reaction to it. I take one twice a day. They definitely limit how hard my heart works. The most significant side effect is breathlessness when I exert myself. I just have to adjust to how hard I physically exert myself. I have to go slower and take a moment to catch my breath when I feel the effects. An occasional coffee or alcoholic beverage has no significant effect.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

I don’t have any of those symptoms except racing heart at dr. I confess what got me on this two was I joined a white coat hypertensive support group on fb. I thought it be people like me with anxiety. Yes they have anxiety but a few of them Also post about no sugar no salt etc. and it’s making me more anxious then ever! I eat all Those things I also eat plenty of veggies plus walking 15 miles. I feel like the support group has scared me more.

I really am not joking when I sat that when I’m not Anxious I feel great. My anxiety comes in go very bad for a few hours then gone for days.

Based on your lifestyle, I don't think this should be a concern. 'White Coat Syndrome' is common among anxiety sufferers. Addressing your anxiety will also address your concern.

Positive thoughts

Believe me I try. Hence the walking. It comes and goes it’s si weird. There was a student in my school with a weapon I was fine but thinking of a dr appointment I’m in terror. My husband tells me to relax and just enjoy the now I wavy too it’s so hard. I’ll do great for a while then I’m in a funk. I really thought the support group would help not make it worse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information