Thread: Frequent urination - ovarian cancer?

Frequent urination - ovarian cancer?

Hello everybody!
    I’ve been a long time lurker of this website & its reassured me so many times in the past - I’ve finally given in & decided to ask for some help for myself.

I am a 28 year old female who, for about the past 2 months has been suffering from frequent urination. Basically, I will use the bathroom, & within 15 minutes to half an hour, I pretty much feel the need to go again. In the beginning I would go every time I got the urge so not much would come out. After a while, I got fed up & now I try & hold it for at least 2-3 hours if I can, which most of the time I can with ease, so it’ll usually be a full pee. It doesn’t usually feel like a full bladder when it starts - moreso like leftover pee? I also want to add it doesn’t wake me at night, I am able to get a full 6-8 hours of sleep with no problem although when I wake in the morning I do have the urge.

The reason this concerns me is because 4 months prior, I randomly vomited one night (still no idea if it was food poisoning or what) & for a solid two months after that I had nausea, reflux & a feeling of pressure in my stomach (this was before the peeing issue). As soon as it started to calm down, the peeing started. My stomach is much better, I still get the occasional reflux, but usually after I eat a lot of fatty foods. Anyway through Google (I know, I know - bad idea) the sum of my symptoms point to ovarian cancer & its stressing me out bad!

I had a CT scan done of my abdomen with contrast about 6 months ago for an unrelated issue & nothing was mentioned about ovaries so that gives me a little hope. The reason I haven’t gone to see my GP is pretty straightforward: I’m known to be a bit of hypochondriac. I actually was supposed to have a gyno visit this week & I was going to bring it up but the clinic got canceled- my luck!

Anyway, I’m sorry for the long story! I guess I just want to know if anybody has ever had something like this related to anxiety? Or should I just bite the bullet & go see my GP?

Thank you guys in advance!

Re: Frequent urination - ovarian cancer?

Its a very common anxiety symptom. There are several similar threads at the bottom of the page and if you do a search, you'll find pages of them. None of which were sinister.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I started having this symptom over 3 yrs ago, adding to
    other symptoms which i have had a lot longer. Dr couldnt discover why. When the frequent urination starts I always seem to have the tense pelvic floor muscles too. I know that it can be a symptom of anxiety but Im not sure how.

Hi Khrissikos,

Sure sounds like a symptom of anxiety, and quite a common one. I've had a few bouts of this as well and I can tell you from experience that the more you focus on it the worse it seems and longer it can drag on. No shocker there really. I'm a man so different anatomy but same principle when it comes to the way anxiety can affect the body. Your able to sleep through the night and hold it a few hours if need be which points away from anything sinister really. As far as waking up with the urge to urinate. I don't know anyone who doesn't so again, that's pretty normal. Hang in there, I sure it will pass in time.

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Its a very common anxiety symptom. There are several similar threads at the bottom of the page and if you do a search, you'll find pages of them. None of which were sinister.

Positive thoughts
    Thank you for the link of symptoms! It’s crazy how many anxiety can bring on! I appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by busterrufus View Post
    I started having this symptom over 3 yrs ago, adding to
    other symptoms which i have had a lot longer. Dr couldnt discover why. When the frequent urination starts I always seem to have the tense pelvic floor muscles too. I know that it can be a symptom of anxiety but Im not sure how.
    Yeah, I agree that it also feels like sometimes my muscles “vibrate” if that makes sense - might be tension as well! Thank you very much for sharing your symptoms it definitely reassures me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourboymj99 View Post
    Hi Khrissikos,

Sure sounds like a symptom of anxiety, and quite a common one. I've had a few bouts of this as well and I can tell you from experience that the more you focus on it the worse it seems and longer it can drag on. No shocker there really. I'm a man so different anatomy but same principle when it comes to the way anxiety can affect the body. Your able to sleep through the night and hold it a few hours if need be which points away from anything sinister really. As far as waking up with the urge to urinate. I don't know anyone who doesn't so again, that's pretty normal. Hang in there, I sure it will pass in time.

Take care
    Thank you, its good to know you’ve experienced something similar! It probably is anxiety; as you said, it does seem to get less intense when I am engrossed in something else. & I guess if it was an organic problem, my body wouldn’t ignore it through the night as you said. Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I’ll try & wait it out

I've been needing to wee in the night for the last couple of months (I put it down to always being thirsty - worried about diabetes...). I thought I'd finished my period but have been having some red, watery discharge the last couple of days(too much information I know!). What have I done about it? Hit up Dr Google! I had no idea about needing to urinate frequently being a symptom of ovarian cancer and now I do. And obviously I've really frightened myself. My hA had really subsided the last couple of years and now I can feel myself being pulled back under.

Hey Apple81, sorry for the late reply. I didn’t see your message. Waking up once in the night to pee is quite normal for a lot of people so I wouldn’t worry too much about it (if you’re waking very often though, I would get it checked - not for cancer but for other way less scary reasons.)

I’ve accepted this is due to my stress levels being all over the place for the last few years, & if it makes you feel any better, I still have this problem. But it fluctuates now; some days its pretty bad (needing to pee every hour) & some days I’ll be good all day. I’ve noticed it tends to flare up when I’m not getting much sleep. These are all things that you should take into account. I still booked an appointment with a gyno next month but I’m no longer stressing out thinking its cancer.

As for the discharge, I can’t say too much but I do always get bloody discharge 2-3 days before my period so I’m assuming for some women its after. It doesn’t sound like anything you need to worry about.

Thread Information