Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term Issues From Having Irregular and Long Periods?

Long Term Issues From Having Irregular and Long Periods?

Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of an issue at the moment with my hormones and periods. I'll give some idea so it makes it easier to understand: I'm 31, not massively overweight (about a stone), I have Hypothyroidism (low dose of 50mg Eltroxin) and I also have PCOS (I had blood tests and the ultrasound, which confirmed that I had lots of fibroids, but that it wasn't a big deal).

Anyway, to clarify, I've always had irregular periods since I got them at 13, and I'm 31 now. I haven't been on any contraception for about 7 years as I've not been sexually active so I've been at the mercy of nature.

I've had periods that have lasted non-stop for 4 months, and then skipped a couple months and so on. Only time I was ever regular was on contraception. Anyway, last year my periods were quite regular for about 6 months (I was on Propranolol as well for my anxiety, but on a lower 10mg dose now), and then because their has been some pretty stressful things happened in my life, very upsetting things, traumatic things as well, I don't know why but they started to go irregular again.

Now, I had a smear back in October, that came back normal. Had blood tests in February for my thyroid, was normal but my iron was low. Last 10 months (which a lot of stressful and upsetting things have happened in that time as well, I know doesn't help) my periods have been missing one month or two, then come back for a couple weeks and then missed one again and been late and then come back.

Now this time, my last period was at the end of May, then I missed June, and now my period have been here for nearly all of July, over 3 weeks. It's very humid here at the moment, and I'm probably not drinking as much as I should, but I feel very weak, tired and drained all the time, as well as not being able to sleep properly, only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep with a nap whenever I can get one.

(My periods for the last 3 weeks have been fairly light, I've only had two incidents of some heavy clots, but then they go very light like their almost gone, then come back a bit, and then light. The heavy clot has only happened twice over the last 3 and a half weeks).

I'm just becoming afraid that this is the start of something bad, like I'm going to get the menopause early, and not be able to have children, which is another worry as I'm getting older and it'll get harder. Then I worry about cancers, and what if something terrible happens. It's all spinning around in my head and I have no one to talk to this about.

Not to mention, I'm hungry all the time, and sweet toothed, bloated and constantly stressed about all of this. I'm just feeling it especially today with the humidity, tiredness and cramps.

I don't know what to do, I'm working on getting the extra weight off, but I'm worried about the other things like cancer, early menopause, not having children etc etc. It feels very overwhelming and frightening. I'm very emotional today as well.

Re: Long Term Issues From Having Irregular and Long Periods?

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:31.

Hi, yeah that's the ultrasound I had. The only difference was, she didn't put it inside because I hadn't had one before, and a few other reasons, so she did an intensive one on my lower abdomen, she used a lot of pressure and was able to see everything with it, which is why she said I had a lot of fibroids and then when I seen the doctor some time later, with the results she said I did have PCOS and yeah same stuff, just to lose weight, and the symptoms will get better etc etc. I've tried really hard to lose weight but struggling with the stone to get to a normal weight and another stone to feel better, doesn't help with Hypothyroidism as well.

I've had periods that have last this long and longer before but it's just so exhausting. And because I have such severe health anxiety I worry about cancers and infertility.

I've also been reading a lot about cancers and womb cancers and have inadvertently set myself off with worry now, and panic that their could be something bad happening...

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:29.

Oh that's good to hear! I'm glad your all better now!! Yeah, I've made an app for Friday to see my female doctor, and discuss about getting help with the symptoms and try get this extra bit of weight off me. Thanks again for replying!!

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:30.

I will, heading off this morning and will discuss with her about all this! Will let you know later!

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:30.

How did you get on?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information