Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term Issues From Having Irregular and Long Periods?

Re: Long Term Issues From Having Irregular and Long Periods?

Hi, sorry for late reply! Wasn't feeling too great yesterday with the heat, so slept most of the evening and night.

Went doctor yesterday morning, and explained about my periods, and should be noted that I've always had irregular periods and periods that have lasted this long as well in the past but that I was starting to get worried as I was getting older and so on. I also explained my fears about cancers and stuff, because of the bleeding for so long and not being on any contraceptive (essentially letting nature take its course), and she explained that is was unlikely at my age to be the cancers, endometrial I think she said, as I explained about the thickening of the lining and she pulled up the letters from the hospital from when I had the ultrasound, and she said it would have shown up there, and that it was PCOS and that they could be lasting a little longer than before because I've put on a bit of weight since then, She also said that I am shedding the lining (I think that's how she put it) and usually the "other" thing is when you are without a period it builds up the thickening of the lining.

Yeah, so I explained all that and my fears and she said it wouldn't be that, but the PCOS and the extra weight is probably making them a little heavier and the missed period, and I'm shedding the lining as well, and that I had the ultrasound as well, which showed the PCOS.

I think that made sense lol! My periods seem a lot lighter today, so they may be easing off a bit, and she gave me a 6 month prescription for the pill to help and Galfer (iron tablets) with added folic acid for my low iron. So I'll be starting them next week and see how I go from there.

I guess because I do get so stressed all the time that I can't even feel relieved about things, its very sad to feel that way all the time. Why I'm always getting chest pains, or a sore back, aches and pains. I'm going to be taking up Yoga again, and walking a bit more to lose some of that extra weight which she said will help, and try up my intake of healthy foods and more water, as I've really slipped in all of that and just become very lazy and withdrawn.

Sorry for not getting back yesterday, was just so tired and drained, and felt so sick from the heat that I just wanted to sleep. Thanks again for checking back in, hope that helps explain what my doctor said to me!!

Yoga sounds like a great idea.
    I’m glad your doctor explained it well, it all sounds very logical to me.
    Hope you’ve got slightly cooler weather today, we have.

Thankfully it's a bit cooler today, which is helping. Yeah, I'm going to try to start doing the yoga in the morning, before breakfast and see how it goes, try to get myself feeling better at least!

She did, explained it better than I did here haha!

Update: I don't know what happened today, but I've been having period cramps (mild), then when I came home, I changed my (sanitary towel) and within an hour it was completely full (bright red) and when I went to the toilet, I had a large clot.

It was so heavy, heaviest I've had in a very long time, and the clot as well. They were light last couple of days, bright red but light and today that just took me by surprise! Should I be worried about this or is it just up and down? Anyone had this before? It kind of startled me how fast it filled up and how much (not enough to leak) but yeah, sorry, got a bit startled and panicked.

I haven't got my prescription yet, getting it tomorrow, I think its called Levora? Levora (levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol).

No I wouldn’t be too worried, like the doctor said - it’s the lining coming away.

I know, I think it just frightened me suddenly because I was taken off guard! I'm getting classic period cramps and bloating, and that just happened and kind of set me off a little as it saturated the whole sanitary towel within an hour and then I got a very large clot. Mum said the same, I think I'm probably making things worse by being panicky as well.

Periods can be right sods sometimes. You think you understand them and then bam, They change. Mine do it every so often. This month I was 5 days late for no apparent reason except to cause me stress I think.

I'm currently 8 days late and having to keep reminding myself that this is going to be happening more often now I'm in my 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm currently 8 days late and having to keep reminding myself that this is going to be happening more often now I'm in my 40s.
    Yes, keep on telling yourself that x

With apologies for threadjacking, it showed up today (I think, can't rely on anything any more). If it wasn't for citalopram I'd have been climbing the walls from sheer terror rather than just hugely worried

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information