Thread: Breathing problems and anxiety

Breathing problems and anxiety

Hi all, hope you're well.

After a really crap year I feel like I'm making good progress with my anxiety/panic disorder with some CBT and propranolol.

However, there's one symptom still bugging the heck out of me. Now, it's as if there's a balloon inside me that expands and makes it difficult to inhale and breathe properly. It makes it really tough to breathe properly unless I move around - but if you're on public transport at rush hour that's a little tough. I usually need to burp after it so I'm assuming it's something to do with hyperventilating, but I'm curious, is there a way to prevent this?

The old me would have broken down at first sign of this symptom but now, I'm avoiding catastrophising and interpreting the symptom as anxiety, but this still hasn't prevented the fight or flight symptom. I can acknowledge it is just my body trying to protect me but it's still a royal pain. I have a long haul flight soon and I'd rather not have this symptom as it's hard enough to breathe on a bloody jet with recycled air.

Any advice to prevent hyperventilation/this symptom? Does it sound like hyperventilation? The more I focus on breathing the worse it gets!

Thanks and cheers
    Nick

Re: Breathing problems and anxiety

I always find that distraction helps in these times. Properly distracted and you’ll suddenly realise that you’re breathing properly again. You can try some mindfulness tricks, or simply playing a game on your phone. Enjoy your trip!

Re: Breathing problems and anxiety

Thanks Scass. Frustrating but I'll do my best to distract myself when it arises in future!!

Many thanks for your help

Thread Information