Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsessively checking stool

Obsessively checking stool

Hi am 17 year old male and you probably seen my recent posts regarding my fear of colon cancer although I have no family history of it.
    Although I have never been tested for colon cancer by doctors they have told me plenty of time not to worry as I was too young and diagnosed me with IBS after finding red blood in my stool I have been obsessed with checking my stool although I know deep down there is nothing wrong with me. This week has been the worst as a had horrible left ab pain but today is the first day I have not really felt it but the pain though has made me obsessively check my stool black parts causing me to panic before using the bathroom because of fear.
    Although I never had black stool after I am done with a bowel movement I try to check for it and freak out when seeing a dark brown color and mistaking it black. I always try to not look and just flush but it’s not that easy and the fact my poop has been green due to it moving to fast in my body cause the junk my college feeds me makes it worse the doctors says the green is normal but my anxiety says different.
    I have been working on not evaluating my poop by Just perking for a few seconds then flushing and eventually not look at all including when I wipe but it’s so hard
    Even though people tell me all the time I’m healthy It’s like I am preparing for something bad to happen as to why I always check feeling that I have always had this disease deep down I have had this fear for two years

Re: Obsessively checking stool

Somebody give me advice

Work on reducing checks using the CBT ERP method. You can build a hierarchy that allows you to sit with the anxiety but makes less checks each time. Another way might be to insert a distraction technique at the point you would check, an alternative activity you do for about 15 minutes that takes your focus away from your trigger. Both may take some time to start seeing results so don't lose hope early on.

Have you spoken to someone about this fear? Many of us have been through OCD checking of stool and it came to nothing. I remember having the green yellow floating stuff and it was definitely anxiety, in fact I have it going on now due to an anxiety relapse.
    You aren’t alone but you may benefit from some CBT. Well done on taking steps to improve.

No but I’m telling myself that I am too young for a disease and have no family history todays the first day I did not inspect my poo but I do look at the tissue as I’m beginning to stop looking at it as I am always trying to look for a red flag

Quote Originally Posted by kmois View Post
    Somebody give me advice
    There are members your age that are so obsessed with this that they've spent a year+ letting it rule their life and are no further along now than they were then and in many ways much worse. Learn from that experience and don't allow it to happen to you! Look into real life help with your anxiety

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 25-07-19 at 22:04.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I currently am and today is the first day I have not looked at my stool or tissue

Good work!

It can be hard to stop as it can raise anxiety, the build up of needing to check. Some can cold turkey it, some need a reduction method like in ERP.

Remember that if you have a bad day with higher anxiety is can mean you can't stop the compulsion but try to remember that doesn't mean you can't restart the next day because you have already achieved it before. You learn to manage the spikes.

I’m on second day I got to say not checking is actually making me feel better and I am going to keep doing this

Quote Originally Posted by kmois View Post
    I’m on second day I got to say not checking is actually making me feel better and I am going to keep doing this
    Keep up the good work! Think of it this way.... If you hold your hand over an open flame, its going to hurt! The solution is simple

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information