Thread: 5 Weeks into 45mg Mirtazapine and feeling Worse

5 Weeks into 45mg Mirtazapine and feeling Worse

OK. Iím now 5 weeks into taking 45mg Mirtazapine daily after increasing from 15mg through 30mg. Initially prescribed by my GP for sleep issues and feelings of anxiety. However, at present my anxiety levels are through the roof.

I wake up feeling fine. Within 10 minutes, for no apparent reason that I can think of, my whole body is flooded with adrenaline and cortisol to the point where I am a quivering jelly. This persists until around 5pm when I start to feel a little better. During the time of waking and 5pm Iím pretty much non-functional. Donít want to do anything, see anyone, go anywhere. In fact the idea of going out, even for what should normally be a pleasurable day out, fills me with absolute dread.

When I go to bed, I can get to sleep without much problem, but on waking, itís Groundhog Day. I also feel like Iíve never been to sleep. The whole process is exhausting.

I would have have thought that after so long on Mirtazapine that I should be feeling some benefit by now. Can anyone relate?

Re: 5 Weeks into 45mg Mirtazapine and feeling Worse

Quote Originally Posted by sollythegolly View Post
    I would have have thought that after so long on Mirtazapine that I should be feeling some benefit by now.
    Mirtazapine is one of a number of meds which works for some, but not most, ime. There are better med options, imho.

I shall be talking to my GP on Wednesday. I would really hate to change meds at this point, but if itís not going to work for me then que sera.

Just adding to this post , the 45 mg made my anxiety unbearable , i was ten x worse on that dose , i have gradually reduced the dosage and my anxiety is at an all time low , 15mg seems to be the correct dosage for me , sometimes with antidepressants its a bit of a trial and error thing , i hope you get it resolved x

Thanks Smiley. Have now been prescribed 10mg Escitalopram by my GP to be taken alongside the 45mg Mirtazapine. I’m going to give that 8 weeks and see how we go from there.

I feel your pain, I have been in the same spot as your original post and also my Dr want's me to take another antidepressant to improve the results. I am hesitant to add any more fuel to the fire but most doctors recommend taking 2 substances at once, and adjusting them as needed. My doctor said just as he modifies his eyeglass prescription, so should your anxiety meds. Please post back as you progress.

Thanks for the response ethan. I’ve just take my third dose of Escitalopram this morning so it’s very early days yet. I’m hoping that this combination of meds works. Perhaps I’ve been a little impatient with my expectations of the Mirtazapine. Some people don’t see any improvement until 6-8 weeks of a steady state dose; some even longer. I’ve only been on the 45mg Mirtazapine for just over 5 weeks.

Like you ethan, I wasn’t too happy about adding more to my medication, but I guess I have to trust my GP’s judgement in these matters. I was more concerned that he might suggest stopping the Mirtazapine and starting a mew medication from scratch. That would have been a nightmare.

As requeste, I’ll let you know how I get on on a weekly basis. I hope we both end up in a much better place.

Well I’m now 45 days taking 45mg Mirtazapine and 9 days of Escitalopram. And things have gotten worse, which I’m going to put down to the start up effects of the Escitalopram. Adrenaline rushes in the morning; no energy or drive; tight feeling under ribs and sternum; gastric upset and no appetite for food whatsoever.

As as the song goes - “Things can only get better”.......

Thread Information