Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: People with fear of flying or boats?

Re: People with fear of flying or boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    It’s not up to someone else to break the cycle, it’s up to you. That’s my advice.
    True but what’s the right thing to do? I’ve had mixed advice in the past some day go ahead book it or drive some say if it makes you anxious don’t do it. It’s a bit confusing the issue I have is “anxiety” and I accept I need to change my thought pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    That person is YOU
    I know I CAN do something but I have an anxiety “wall” or safety blanket. I bailed out on flying, relearning to drive, college in the past six months due to the anxiety.

I doubt my ability to do it. I did get over some of my social media anxiety but it was difficult. I may be able to do these things but it has to feel “just right”. I opted to not fly for 4 years and I go through spells like this.

I bet there’s some great YouTube videos that can help.

I have never stepped foot out of the uk in my 27 years due to the captivity that is emetophobia. My stomach hasnt thrown up in almost 20 years and though an achievement it is what holds me back from even going to Ireland (Im in England.) I went to Northern ireland in 2017 just two years after I was hospitalized for emetophobia and starving myself and when I look back I realise how far I came...I even ate a huge pizza before and was very edgy and jittery on the flight but did it without anyone suspecting an ounce of anxiety - you can do it but Id try with very short haul, if I plan to go again I may consider france or italy, 2 hours max. My friend who has crippling travel anxiety told me one efficient way is alcohol but I feel the risk there is feeling more out of control. I agree with the above, theres some fantastic podcasts on spotify and youtube x

I feel the need to jump on this thread.

Hi folks, i had a fear of getting on a plane, train etc for 18 years.

Let me explain, i was terribly agoraphobic and couldn't even go in a corner shop at one point as i was so bad. And then i went on a fearless flyer course in Manchester, bought for me by my hubby as a christmas present..... You can imagine my horror

Anyway, let me cut this story short, I did the course, I got on the plane and have flown to spain and turkey on holiday since.

It was the best thing I have ever done, well apart from having my blonde locks shaved off for charity that is.

Feel the fear and do it anyway....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information