Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People with fear of flying or boats?

Re: People with fear of flying or boats?

Flying really scared me! Until this year I had never been in a plane because I would have nightmares about planes being a giant death tin - this weekend I’m going on my 9th plane this year!!
    I’ve missed out on so much because I would always decline any opportunity to get off this little island. While I don’t actually enjoy flying, the weird accomplished feeling you get when you land and the excitement that you’re in a new place is worth the few hours in the scary tin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nightcat View Post
    Flying really scared me! Until this year I had never been in a plane because I would have nightmares about planes being a giant death tin - this weekend I’m going on my 9th plane this year!!
    Now that is impressive. Well done! I'm not a fan of flying but still do it from time to time. Enjoy your trip!

Maybe try a hypnotherapist? I've seen one now three times and I am miraculously cured of my panic attacks as soon as I get on a highway, and my cross-country flight a few days ago was actually ENJOYABLE, rather than the terrifying, illness-inducing task it used to be.
    Sue

With the Coronavirus at the moment perhaps it’s a good time to fly for me? Half empty planes perhaps low prices and if I feel anxious not many people around to see me feeling anxious?

Flying is the safest form of transport statistically. I work in aviation and you'd be amazed what those things can get through. I personally don't like long flights but that's just me.

With the Coronavirus at the moment perhaps it’s a good time to fly for me? Half empty planes perhaps low prices and if I feel anxious not many people around to see me feeling anxious?
    Except Phil you've said in other threads that you are terrified of going places, even in Europe incase you catch the virus and have been talking about how you cancel your holiday - infact you were talking of hiding away in your house for months only earlier today. So, this all seems a bit contradictory ?

As for flying itself, as a long-term 'terrified of flying person' I feel I've got over it a good deal with two flights in the last 12 months. It can be done. Statistically flying is actually safer than being on the ground and living normal life.

I’m probably a bad person to ask about flying lol. I absolutely hate it. I’ve flown many times, every time is an anxiety inducer for me. And I also won’t take drugs, so all my family is always telling me they’re going to slip me Xanax or something which if I found out about, would send me into anxiety attack too.

I don’t know why I hate flying. If it’s a lack of control thing, a heights thing, a fear of crashing thing, Or some of all. Regardless, I won’t voluntarily fly. The times I have, have been for work and driving wasn’t an option. I’d love to be able to get over this fear because I do love traveling. And having to waste 2-4 days of my vacation time due to driving does suck.

I think I’d love a cruise though. I love being on the water.

The issue is I decide to go > become very stressed and worried > delay going and it goes round in a circle. Not much anybody can say will be of use until someone can help break that cycle? It goes for boats, planes and learning to drive. I go through the choice of making that choice to do it and bottle it? Any advice would be great

It’s not up to someone else to break the cycle, it’s up to you. That’s my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Not much anybody can say will be of use until someone can help break that cycle?
    That person is YOU

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information