Thread: Sorry guys, I just need to vent

Sorry guys, I just need to vent

I am currently on a two week camping trip in the Canadian Rockies - my absolute favorite place in the world. I have been before a few times and always want to come back. I am with my friend, who has never been and honestly hasn’t done much camping period (but her current boyfriend is outdoorsy so she’s been recently). We’ve traveled together before and I should have known better, but we are three days in and she’s driving me up the wall!! So enjoy my vents below:

- she’s done most of the driving in my new car and not only drives wayyyy too fast, she is constantly passing people in a way where she stomps on the gas and revs my motor in a way that feels terrible. I drive some but she insists too, and when I drive she complains that I’m a bad driver.

- she brought so much stuff. We are camping out of the car and it’s filled to the top. Mostly with crap we don’t need. Tiki torches? Got them. A large table I told her we’d never be able to use anyway? Got it. Five bags of clothes. A plastic box of assorted junk. She says she wants to go backpacking but good lord, there’s no way.

- she insisted on buying bottled beer, instantly it fell out of the car when we parked and shattered all over the ground.

- she’s complaining that our campsites don’t have good views. They don’t - but campsites here book really quickly. I booked a bunch in January for early July and she has something else come up so we had to move the trip and take whatever was available. So, not my fault the sites suck.

- insists we will have a fire until 11 pm. I will go to bed sooner and she says we can just let it burn while we sleep. Sure, sounds like an excellent idea.

- told her boyfriend, who is flying in to camp with us at the end of the trip, that we’d be happy to take a bunch of his stuff in our car too.

- I’m not in the best shape of my life, but I have been here before and successfully hiked. I’m taking it slowly because I have also had altitude sickness before and do not want that again. She has several times commented that I just “can’t keep up” and “what was I thinking”

- constantly puts down suggestions my dad offers. I bicker with my dad too and certainly don’t listen as much as I should, but he’s an Eagle Scout-former backpacker who has also been here a lot. He knows what’s up.

- we have very different measures of cleanliness. She has no problem throwing trash everywhere (again, not surprising based on her own car and house). I asked her to put a lid on her coffee, she laughed and said I was crazy, and 20 minutes later spilled it all over my car.

And....there’s more but I’ll stop there. I just really needed to get that out. 😬
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Sorry guys, I just need to vent

But look on the bright side, whilst she is still arguining about how the shot could be better you will be hightailing out of there from the bear standing behind her

Oh, Terry, did I also mention it is my birthday? 🙄

Thanks though - that gave me a laugh! She wants to go hiking at 6:30 am and thinks yelling at a bear is enough to scare it away...so she could be in some danger 😆

I've heard rubbing honey all over yourself is a good bear deterrent

Happy birthday!!! I hope you have a great day.

Thread Information