Thread: Diazepam - I screwed up big time

Diazepam - I screwed up big time

Hi guys

I need some help desperately. I have a flight in six hours and had some diazepam prescribed to help with severe anxiety/panic disorder. Being the stupid idiot I am, I bought a beer at the hotel bar just now and had one sip before realising that you can't mix diazepam and alcohol. I haven't taken diazepam yet, but I need it desperately for the flight. Will one sip of beer six hours before I take it have awful effects? I'm terrified.

Absolutely banging my head against a wall right now. Can one tiny little sip kill me?

Re: Diazepam - I screwed up big time

You will be fine - one sip will make no difference whatsoever

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nicola, I appreciate that. You'd expect it will be out of my system by then, the reason in me is telling me that!

It is ok to drink alcohol but the effects may be increased so they advise not to but better be safe than sorry if you have never mixed them before.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Good advice from Nicola

I would add that even a couple of beers with diazepam (therapeutic doses) would be unlikely to cause any issues. People mix them for "recreational" purposes all the time. Although, this is a dumb idea and is not recommended. (And they do so at much higher doses)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994 View Post
    Can one tiny little sip kill me?
    It takes about 2 hours to metabolize the alcohol in a pint of beer, so just on that score you'd be fine taking diazepam 6 hours later.

The problem with mixing alcohol and benzodiazepines is that both can depress brainstem activity which, among other things, produces the breathing reflex. Falling asleep after consuming high amounts of both drugs increases the risk of asphyxiation (vomiting and being too sedated to awaken is another risk). This used to be potentially even more problematic in the past when aircraft were less well ventilated than they generally are now as a fuel saving measure. Another issue is that at high doses the combo can trigger strange, or violent behaviours.

I've taken Valium after drinking Bourbon a few hours before for years with no problems.
    A sip of beer won't hurt.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Another issue is that at high doses the combo can trigger strange […] behaviours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    I've taken Valium after drinking Bourbon a few hours before for years with no problems.
    A sip of beer won't hurt.
    Hmm...that explains a few things

You worked out my secret

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information