Thread: Struggling with chest pain

Struggling with chest pain

I have a history of abdominal problems and reflux, had many tests and all that can be found wrong is a small hiatus hernia. I fully admit I suffer with health anxiety BUT I never did until all these problems started nearly 2 years ago. I’ve been suffering the last week or so with awful burning up through the centre of my chest that spreads out across upper chest and up to my neck it comes with pain by breast bone too. It’s pretty constant and intense and to be quite honest it scares me. I’ve been to docs who says it’s reflux but I’ve never had reflux like this before, never had the awful burning like my whole chest is on fire. My reflux meds do nothing and I’ve been drinking the gaviscon too which doesn’t help much. Am I right to be scared? I hate this and I’m really struggling right now to think sensibly. If it was reflux surely the meds would work? But if it was my heart and it’d been hurting for a week wouldn’t I be dead by now? Sorry to ramble but I can’t stop thinking about all the awful things it could be 😔
    Also I should add I was given domperidone to try fir a week but leaflet has put me off as it says there’s an increased risk of heart problems and sudden cardiac arrest! I’m too scared to take them 😔
    Last edited by Emls78; 08-08-19 at 09:07. Reason: Add on

Re: Struggling with chest pain

It's a symptom of reflux. Your Doctor says it's reflux.

It's reflux.

I just want it to go away! It’s relentless and pretty much unbearable which is why I’m struggling so much to stay calm about it

Have you identified the food that aggravates your reflux? It's not something that just goes away, and is usually caused by a combination of stress and diet.

Hi elms I know what it's like to be scared of taking medication I too read the leaflet and side effects can be scarey so I know how your feeling ' if your still got the symptoms I would go back to see the doctor especially as you said you have not had it like this before ' I had similar symptoms before and it was a chest infection so it might be worth making an appointment just for peace of mind I hope you get some relief soon .x

I have not been able to identify anything that triggers it. I keep my diet very bland and avoid the usual triggers like tomatoes, chocolate etc. I only drink decaf tea and water and I take the highest dose of reflux meds plus gaviscon. When it persists like this I get scared. I fully admit that doesn’t help as anxiety makes things worse. But with upper abdominal pains and chest pains it’s hard not to worry and fear there’s something awful wrong. I’m trying to be positive but it’s got the better of me this time

Quote Originally Posted by jackieann3 View Post
    might be worth making an appointment just for peace of mind
    I don't agree with paid reassurance, especially in light of the history of reflux and diagnosis from the last visit. Of course, diet plays a huge role as has been stated.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information