Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

Hi everyone,

Rabies scare really sucks... Two weeks ago I went to a friends gathering. The whole time I was sitting on a bench chair under the table covered with long table cloth. It is summer here in Massachusetts, so I did feel a lot of bugs on my legs when my legs were under the table. Didn't think too much about it. Fast forward several days, my friend told me that she found bats in the attic of her house. The same day I went home and examined my whole day... I then found two bite marks on my ankle (very close to each other, definitely resembles bat bites)... Now it's been 14 days since the gathering, the two red marks are still here and I'm scared as hell because its already very late to get any vaccinations and I have been feeling some nerve pain on my legs.. I'm so scared it's rabies. The day of the gathering I did not feel any sharp pain but I don't know if bat bites are supposed to hurt or not... Online says bat bites could be very small and unnoticeable, so is it possible that I could have gotten bit without knowing or seeing a bat? Thanks everyone

Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:23.

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:24.

Quote Originally Posted by woaidelrey View Post
    Hi everyone,

Rabies scare really sucks... Two weeks ago I went to a friends gathering. The whole time I was sitting on a bench chair under the table covered with long table cloth. It is summer here in Massachusetts, so I did feel a lot of bugs on my legs when my legs were under the table. Didn't think too much about it. Fast forward several days, my friend told me that she found bats in the attic of her house. The same day I went home and examined my whole day... I then found two bite marks on my ankle (very close to each other, definitely resembles bat bites)... Now it's been 14 days since the gathering, the two red marks are still here and I'm scared as hell because its already very late to get any vaccinations and I have been feeling some nerve pain on my legs.. I'm so scared it's rabies. The day of the gathering I did not feel any sharp pain but I don't know if bat bites are supposed to hurt or not... Online says bat bites could be very small and unnoticeable, so is it possible that I could have gotten bit without knowing or seeing a bat? Thanks everyone
    Had the same fear as you for a bit, and let me tell you that if a bat was anywhere near you, you’d know. As stated many times, they’re not ninjas, if it was under the table, it would’ve been found by people at your gathering. This is especially the case if it was rabid because rabid bats start to have a lot of difficulty flying and therefore stay put. That’s why victims of rabid bats usually find the bat in their room after waking up. Not only this but if a bat bit you, you’d known. The whole point of the rabies virus is to spread itself, and so if the bat saw no reaction from biting you, it would’ve kept biting. You don’t have rabies, don’t even waste your time worrying about it. It’s a scary disease and that’s exactly why you’re being so irrational about the situation, trust me, I went through the same thing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloPanda23 View Post
    Had the same fear as you for a bit, and let me tell you that if a bat was anywhere near you, you’d know. As stated many times, they’re not ninjas, if it was under the table, it would’ve been found by people at your gathering. This is especially the case if it was rabid because rabid bats start to have a lot of difficulty flying and therefore stay put. That’s why victims of rabid bats usually find the bat in their room after waking up. Not only this but if a bat bit you, you’d known. The whole point of the rabies virus is to spread itself, and so if the bat saw no reaction from biting you, it would’ve kept biting. You don’t have rabies, don’t even waste your time worrying about it. It’s a scary disease and that’s exactly why you’re being so irrational about the situation, trust me, I went through the same thing. Good luck!
    Yea I can't imagine a bat bit me and I didn't know, and nobody at the party noticed a bat the whole time at all... It's just the two bite marks that are there are constantly reminding me that it may be rabies... And I'm constantly attributing any symptoms I have now to rabies. I feel like this is onee scare that really gives me panic attacks at this point because there is just no way to know :(

I feel like this is one scare that really gives me panic attacks at this point because there is just no way to know :(
    On the contrary, there is. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. You can't make a duck turn into a ninja bat no matter how hard you try.

If you can make up a scenario and convince yourself a rabid bat, which are typically flying mammals, was crawling around unseen on the ground in a group of people, found it's way to your leg, bit you and you didn't notice anything or feel it, I think you should consider a career in fiction writing.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 09-08-19 at 12:29.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I am now having whole body soreness, joint pain... I really am starting to think I'm one of the few unfortunately ppl now... It's too late to get shots now as well 😭

How would you have not known if a rabid small mammal was under your table?

I am now having whole body soreness, joint pain... I really am starting to think I'm one of the few unfortunately ppl now... It's too late to get shots now as well 
    Rabies does not normally show up within 2 weeks time. It is usually like 6 weeks to 3 months, although there are outliers.

The facts are these: you didn't see a bat. Just because bats are in her attic doesn't at all mean they were hanging around in her backyard by your ankles. Those two pronged marks are VERY common. I have found them on my body in rabies panics and out of rabies panics, as well as on my kids' bodies. Those marks could have been caused by anything.

I find it really difficult to believe you would be unaware if a bat had bitten you at a party when you were wide awake. There is a lot of information about people brushing against bats, not feeling a bite, and then getting rabies. I have read the case histories ad nauseum after finding a very dead, untestable bat in my daughter's room. The adults that brushed against bats and then got rabies had awareness they had been in contact with a bat. There are cases of sleeping children (well a sleeping child) getting bitten and not knowing it, but children are something special, lol. Have you ever seen them sleep?

I find it really hard to believe you were bitten by a bat when you were wide awake when you didn't see a bat anywhere. If you called the CDC, they would not recommend a RPEP course in your case. Can you imagine how many people would be going through rabies vaccination if the recommendation was to administer the shots every time someone found a two pronged mark after being outside??? It is NOT recommended because a two pronged mark is not considered an exposure. You don't have a real bat bite. You have a mark that you want to believe is a bat bite. There is a difference.

You have yourself so worked up that you (subconsciously) are scanning any flutter or twinge in your body, looking for evidence of rabies. This (phantom rabies) is a very common phenomenon among people that fear they have been exposed. It is really hard to combat the fear when you are sure you've been exposed, feel sensations/pain in your body. All of that creates a feedback loop from hell that will keep you in the rabies paranoia. As I said, I have read so much about rabies, and the way rabies presents is not all over muscle pain, so you really aren't even showing rabies symptoms. But, your brain will want to trick and trick you until you have calmed down naturally or it has been so long that you realize it couldn't be rabies because if it had been you would already be dead.

I hope that these replies help you to see this more clearly and help you calm down naturally.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information