Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    87

    Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    Hi everyone,

    Rabies scare really sucks... Two weeks ago I went to a friends gathering. The whole time I was sitting on a bench chair under the table covered with long table cloth. It is summer here in Massachusetts, so I did feel a lot of bugs on my legs when my legs were under the table. Didn't think too much about it. Fast forward several days, my friend told me that she found bats in the attic of her house. The same day I went home and examined my whole day... I then found two bite marks on my ankle (very close to each other, definitely resembles bat bites)... Now it's been 14 days since the gathering, the two red marks are still here and I'm scared as hell because its already very late to get any vaccinations and I have been feeling some nerve pain on my legs.. I'm so scared it's rabies. The day of the gathering I did not feel any sharp pain but I don't know if bat bites are supposed to hurt or not... Online says bat bites could be very small and unnoticeable, so is it possible that I could have gotten bit without knowing or seeing a bat? Thanks everyone

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    188

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    '
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 04:23.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    188

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    '
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 04:24.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    124

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    Quote Originally Posted by woaidelrey View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Rabies scare really sucks... Two weeks ago I went to a friends gathering. The whole time I was sitting on a bench chair under the table covered with long table cloth. It is summer here in Massachusetts, so I did feel a lot of bugs on my legs when my legs were under the table. Didn't think too much about it. Fast forward several days, my friend told me that she found bats in the attic of her house. The same day I went home and examined my whole day... I then found two bite marks on my ankle (very close to each other, definitely resembles bat bites)... Now it's been 14 days since the gathering, the two red marks are still here and I'm scared as hell because its already very late to get any vaccinations and I have been feeling some nerve pain on my legs.. I'm so scared it's rabies. The day of the gathering I did not feel any sharp pain but I don't know if bat bites are supposed to hurt or not... Online says bat bites could be very small and unnoticeable, so is it possible that I could have gotten bit without knowing or seeing a bat? Thanks everyone
    Had the same fear as you for a bit, and let me tell you that if a bat was anywhere near you, you’d know. As stated many times, they’re not ninjas, if it was under the table, it would’ve been found by people at your gathering. This is especially the case if it was rabid because rabid bats start to have a lot of difficulty flying and therefore stay put. That’s why victims of rabid bats usually find the bat in their room after waking up. Not only this but if a bat bit you, you’d known. The whole point of the rabies virus is to spread itself, and so if the bat saw no reaction from biting you, it would’ve kept biting. You don’t have rabies, don’t even waste your time worrying about it. It’s a scary disease and that’s exactly why you’re being so irrational about the situation, trust me, I went through the same thing. Good luck!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    87

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloPanda23 View Post
    Had the same fear as you for a bit, and let me tell you that if a bat was anywhere near you, you’d know. As stated many times, they’re not ninjas, if it was under the table, it would’ve been found by people at your gathering. This is especially the case if it was rabid because rabid bats start to have a lot of difficulty flying and therefore stay put. That’s why victims of rabid bats usually find the bat in their room after waking up. Not only this but if a bat bit you, you’d known. The whole point of the rabies virus is to spread itself, and so if the bat saw no reaction from biting you, it would’ve kept biting. You don’t have rabies, don’t even waste your time worrying about it. It’s a scary disease and that’s exactly why you’re being so irrational about the situation, trust me, I went through the same thing. Good luck!
    Yea I can't imagine a bat bit me and I didn't know, and nobody at the party noticed a bat the whole time at all... It's just the two bite marks that are there are constantly reminding me that it may be rabies... And I'm constantly attributing any symptoms I have now to rabies. I feel like this is onee scare that really gives me panic attacks at this point because there is just no way to know :(

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20,772

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    Quote Originally Posted by woaidelrey View Post
    I feel like this is one scare that really gives me panic attacks at this point because there is just no way to know :(
    On the contrary, there is. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. You can't make a duck turn into a ninja bat no matter how hard you try.

    If you can make up a scenario and convince yourself a rabid bat, which are typically flying mammals, was crawling around unseen on the ground in a group of people, found it's way to your leg, bit you and you didn't notice anything or feel it, I think you should consider a career in fiction writing.

    Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 09-08-19 at 12:29.
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    43,855

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    Hi

    This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

    This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

    Please also read this post:

    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239
    __________________
    Nicola

    “Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

    Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    87

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    I am now having whole body soreness, joint pain... I really am starting to think I'm one of the few unfortunately ppl now... It's too late to get shots now as well 😭

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    4,283

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    How would you have not known if a rabid small mammal was under your table?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    671

    Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

    Quote Originally Posted by woaidelrey View Post
    I am now having whole body soreness, joint pain... I really am starting to think I'm one of the few unfortunately ppl now... It's too late to get shots now as well 
    Rabies does not normally show up within 2 weeks time. It is usually like 6 weeks to 3 months, although there are outliers.

    The facts are these: you didn't see a bat. Just because bats are in her attic doesn't at all mean they were hanging around in her backyard by your ankles. Those two pronged marks are VERY common. I have found them on my body in rabies panics and out of rabies panics, as well as on my kids' bodies. Those marks could have been caused by anything.

    I find it really difficult to believe you would be unaware if a bat had bitten you at a party when you were wide awake. There is a lot of information about people brushing against bats, not feeling a bite, and then getting rabies. I have read the case histories ad nauseum after finding a very dead, untestable bat in my daughter's room. The adults that brushed against bats and then got rabies had awareness they had been in contact with a bat. There are cases of sleeping children (well a sleeping child) getting bitten and not knowing it, but children are something special, lol. Have you ever seen them sleep?

    I find it really hard to believe you were bitten by a bat when you were wide awake when you didn't see a bat anywhere. If you called the CDC, they would not recommend a RPEP course in your case. Can you imagine how many people would be going through rabies vaccination if the recommendation was to administer the shots every time someone found a two pronged mark after being outside??? It is NOT recommended because a two pronged mark is not considered an exposure. You don't have a real bat bite. You have a mark that you want to believe is a bat bite. There is a difference.

    You have yourself so worked up that you (subconsciously) are scanning any flutter or twinge in your body, looking for evidence of rabies. This (phantom rabies) is a very common phenomenon among people that fear they have been exposed. It is really hard to combat the fear when you are sure you've been exposed, feel sensations/pain in your body. All of that creates a feedback loop from hell that will keep you in the rabies paranoia. As I said, I have read so much about rabies, and the way rabies presents is not all over muscle pain, so you really aren't even showing rabies symptoms. But, your brain will want to trick and trick you until you have calmed down naturally or it has been so long that you realize it couldn't be rabies because if it had been you would already be dead.

    I hope that these replies help you to see this more clearly and help you calm down naturally.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Intrusive thinking about rabies/bats
    By Panicandpeace in forum Rabies Concerns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-18, 14:37
  2. Health Anxiety - Rabies and Bats
    By mn_guy in forum Rabies Concerns
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-08-18, 13:23
  3. Invisible Bats and Rabies Fear
    By MaryCCC in forum Rabies Concerns
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-05-18, 20:58
  4. Really worried about rabies and bats
    By djsandra in forum Rabies Concerns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-06-14, 02:00
  5. Bite marks on inside of cheek
    By rubynoodles in forum Symptoms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-12, 11:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •