Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

Re: Rabies from Bats (real bite marks)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    No, because you didn't get bitten.
    I'm trying to think rationally. My two marks measures exactly 1cm in width, which is the typical width of a bat bite. It didnt itch or cause pain, so it wasn't porbably from insects or bugs. So should I err on the cautious side and just have the vaccinations, because maybe I really missed the bat or was oblivious when it bit me as bats teeth are so small thay sometimes it leave little trace?

Awake all night, pretty much convinced I may be the unlucky one... I just went out to a friends gathering and then I got two bite marks that are 1cm apart. Everything just happens so coincidentally that I don't know what to think anymore. I'm so scared and numb right now, its too late to get vaccinations although I still want to get it, cuz maybe it will save me somewhat...

Sorry to keep bumping this thread.
    I think I'm still gonna go to the ER to get the shots. It's too much of a risk because there is just no explanation for two bite marks 1cm apart other than bat bites... This is severely impeding my daily life, i can't even go to work..I'm calling out for work. This fear is all too much, is the king of HA😭

Just be aware that you're going to have to confront this again next time another scary symptom comes along.

Again, I'd be surprised if they give them to you based on the scenario.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It's not even about the symptoms, it's about the unexplained two bite marks. I just want to be on the safe side, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by woaidelrey View Post
    It's not even about the symptoms, it's about the unexplained two bite marks. I just want to be on the safe side, just in case.
    Then do it. You obviously came on here to seek reassurance and it's obvious nothing said will help so....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by woaidelrey View Post
    Sorry to keep bumping this thread.
    I think I'm still gonna go to the ER to get the shots. It's too much of a risk because there is just no explanation for two bite marks 1cm apart other than bat bites... This is severely impeding my daily life, i can't even go to work..I'm calling out for work. This fear is all too much, is the king of HA
    You do realize this is probably going to cost you $10 K out of pocket, unless you have amazing health insurance with low deductibles. Even so, since you had no contact with a bat, insurance might not cover it-- so you will have to lie and say you know a bat bit you or landed on you or whatever. Do you really feel good doing that?

If you are expecting a doctor to look at the bites, and know what bit you, that is not going to happen. No one can look at you and verify what bit you or didn't bite you. Most of the time, we have no choice in life but to accept that we simply can't know. If there was a medical reason to get rabies vaccination after every unknown mark appears on the skin, rabies vaccines for everyone would be routine. The reason rabies vaccine isn't routine is because (1) it is in short supply, so you are potentially taking a dose from someone who had a "true" exposure and (2) the vaccine poses risks, just like an vaccine, and sometimes the side effects are severe. My daughter DID need to get vaccine, for a very weird and bizarre exposure, and the doctors were definitely weighing the risks of rabies in her case versus the risk of debilitating side effects (which is rare, but happens, things like encephalitis, paralysis, Guillan Barre). In her case, she met the CDC guideline so she got the shot. You do not meet it, so you are subjecting yourself to an unknown that is costly and exposes you to risk. Still want to do it?

All valid points NervUs but since when does the dragon listen to reason?

Positive thoughts

I just don't know what to do. When the fear is so strong, what else can I do to assure myself?? I do have a bite mark- this is something I can't shake off. What should I think? I keep thinking what if it was a bat..what if?? What should I think? 😭 Online everywhere is saying a lot of times you don't even feel a bat biting you because it can be painless ..

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information