Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abnormal Ovarian Cysts

Abnormal Ovarian Cysts

I had a checkup at the obgyn and he discovered cysts on both of my ovaries. One is a functional cyst that will probably go away on its own but the the other one (on the right ovary ) is different. He said it might be an endometrioma- a cyst caused by endometriosis(which i'm pretty sure I have) or a dermoid cyst. But overall he categorized them as "no big deal". He didn't tell me how big they are.
    However, the "abnormal" cyst keeps on bothering me. It doesn't necessarily cause a lot of pain, unless I'm on my period, but i constantly feel some pressure in that part of my abdomen.
    My main fear is ovarian cancer or something causing the cyst to rupture.

Has anyone had an ovarian cyst, the type that doesn't go away? if yes, did you have surgery or just left it there?
    I have another scan in 2 months and i'm scared.

Re: Abnormal Ovarian Cysts

Hello. I've had a functional cyst and 5 endometriomas. Don't be scared I've had surgery twice and lots of hormonal treatments. One of my endometriomas did rupture and I'm still here to tell the tale. I should add that it ruptured before I knew I had them so no-one was monitoring them. If the cyst is not too big, they might just keep an eye on it. Please ask anything you want to. I'm not a doctor but I've had quite a bit of experience with endometriosis as a patient. 10 years ago I was told I'd need surgery every 1-2 years, and it's nearly 11 years since my last operation. There is lots they can do if that's what it turns out to be.

Thank you so much for your reply Dying_Swan. You mentioned you had 5 endometriomas and 2 surgeries. Did the cysts that you didn't operate go away with hormonal treatment? I was reading online that birth control pills won't shrink an existing cyst but will prevent others from developing. How big were your cysts?
    Also, are you still on hormonal treatment?

I have a 4in cyst on my right ovary which I can’t remember the name of but it’s not quite functional or dermoid. The gynaecologist thought it might be debris left over from my emergency csection. It causes discomfort when I’m ovulating from that side, but mostly it’s ok.

I think with all cysts that they don’t want to operate on straight away, they use a watch and wait approach.

In all honesty mine caused me all sorts of aches until I was reassured that it wasn’t sinister.

Hey. Yes, 4 endometriomas removed at 2 surgeries, and I believe one endometrioma + 1 functional cyst disappeared with progesterone treatment. It's possible it didn't and was actually the same one they later removed, but to my knowledge that's what happened. I'm not sure how big the last two were, the ones before that were quite small at 2-3cm. The first ones (and the one which burst) were apparently melon-sized and they thought had been growing years. I have been on hormone treatment continuously since 2008, from provera > zoladex > microgynon > cerazette. Are you on any hormones at all? I'm glad they're going to monitor it. If it's on the small side and not causing pain, they might be happy just to keep an eye on it. I don't know so much about dermoid cysts, but if it's an endometrioma that is growing, is large or causing problems, personally I'd opt for surgery, and possibly hormones too, but it all depends on what is right for you. It sounds like they're not concerned which is great, so see how you go at your next appointment. It might be helpful to keep a symptom diary until then so you can see any patterns and discuss it with your doctor.

Dying_swan I’m not on any hormone treatment. I only took mycrogynon for 3 months a few years ago when I had a 3cm functional cyst that went away then I stopped it. Size of a melon??? Omg. Did it hurt or caused any other issues? Was your abdomen distended?
    When it ruptured did you have emergency surgery?

Scass, my cyst also causes issues when I ovulate, although the doctor said I don’t ovulate from that ovary. This cyst was casing weird symptoms even before I discovered it. That was the reason for my visit. I was getting right sided pain when I had my period, mostly when I was walking. I remember I went on my lunch break and I could barely make it back to the office. The pain stopped when I sat down. It was very strange.

Hi neuroticcat. I did have emergency surgery for the rupture although they thought it was my appendix, as I'd not really had any symptoms before that. I'd been on the pill for years beforehand which I think had masked it. My case was unusual though so please don't think that's likely to happen to you. The good thing is that they're aware of it and will monitor it. Do you know how big it is?

No, unfortunately he didn’t tell me how big it is. I don’t know how it is in the UK but in the US you get to spend very little time with the doctor. Like 10 minutes or so. I didn’t get to ask all the questions I wanted. I was wondering what may cause a cyst to rupture? Could workout cause it?

I didn’t know how big my cyst was either until I got a letter about a month after the appointment.

I also get that leg ache/pain. Weird isn’t it?

Yes, appointments can be quite hurried sometimes. It's worth writing down a list of questions if you can to take to the appointment. My guess is he wouldn't have just left it if it was large. I'm not sure what causes rupture but I think it's when they get very big. Mine went as I stood up from a chair. I've never been told not to exercise or actually to avoid anything with smaller ones.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information