Thread: Chest strain

Chest strain

I have had the discomfort 4 weeks now, how long can strains take to get better?

It started just when I coughed like a dull ache down right side of chest, its changed in the last 2 weeks, say if I am sitting on the sofa watching tv and then if I cough it hurts but mostly when I get up off the sofa and stand up straight I get a pulling type feeling on right side of chest or if I wake up in the morning and cough when I first stand up. Once I have been upright for 30 seconds - 1 minute the discomfort goes. Does that sound like its just a strain? its like a dull discomfort.

I had bronchitis about 7 weeks ago, my cough is just about gone after 8 weeks of coughing, lol! but this strain only started when I was coughing a tiny bit, I didn't have it when I was coughing my guts up every second of every day, lol!

It doesn't hurt if I lift anything or if I lean on my hands or anything, its really strange.

GP listened to my chest last week said its all clear now and that its probably just a strain. I just wish it would go, I have never had a strain in my chest before and of course at the back of my mind I do wonder if its something else because its not going its playin in my mind abit.

Re: Chest strain

Hello Cherry !
    Strains take a while to settle because we keep tensing up the very muscles that we are trying to relax ! This is a problem for me too, but I'm doing gentle breathing and stretching exercises which is helping me alot. try to keep on the move so you don't seize up altogether ! It WILL get better.
    be kind to yourself

hi cherry,
    i agree. strains can take ages to get better. i strained myself last year in my right shoulder. it seemed to take ages to get better, and of course when i freaked with it the achiness and pain got worse.
    it does take time but it will get better.

take care
    pp x

I had a bad cough once and it went on and on.

I then had pains in left side of chest and it was so bad

went to docs and I had cracked a rib coughing so these things do take time to heal ok?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Cheers me dears, very reassuring. I shall plod on:-) lol!

Ive had this symptom alot lately. When I lie down it feels strained on my left side is it common? I find just sitting it feels strained?

Thread Information