Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm scarred for life... please help *TRIGGER WARNING*

Re: I'm scarred for life... please help *TRIGGER WARNING*

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    Do they put the dogs down after a certain amount of time? I don't think I could ever volunteer anywhere where they do that
    No, unlike PETA who do have a policy of euthanasia. But I'm just giving an alternative to getting involved with a more committed group like them to point out there are many ways you can benefit animals without going full on activist.

I’m surprised PETA euthanises dogs.. unless they’re ill of course

I keep getting the urge now to watch that disturbing video. Like my mind wants me to upset myself, similar to the HA googling, and I don’t know what to do because every time I watch it, it leaves me in a wreck.

And even if I don’t rewatch it I’ve still got the memory, and I don’t think I’ll ever forget it, it has seriously scarred me

Oh I just saw the replies on page 2, they look very detailed and insightful

I will get to them when I have proper laptop access in the morning, I thought Terry’s was the only reply so I replied quickly on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I’m surprised PETA euthanises dogs.. unless they’re ill of course

I keep getting the urge now to watch that disturbing video. Like my mind wants me to upset myself, similar to the HA googling, and I don’t know what to do because every time I watch it, it leaves me in a wreck.

And even if I don’t rewatch it I’ve still got the memory, and I don’t think I’ll ever forget it, it has seriously scarred me
    They do good work in their investigations but they are not without criticism for their own issues, one being they don't believe in the no kill movement and continue to euthanise.

Can you see the anxiety issue in there? It wants you to go back to a scary trigger and start it all over again. It will fade soon unless you choose to keep it going. This thread now needs to be about discussing lifestyle change/ethics as opposed to you wanting to be reassured so best not to keep it going about how you felt as that time has passed.

"Unless you choose to keep it going" are the significant words to consider here.

So what lifestyle changes are you going to make, Toby? Within reason of course. Small changes can make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshirepudding View Post
    Hi,

It is true that a Vegan lifestyle can sometimes be more expensive. This, in my experience, tends to be when you purchase processed foods like fake meats, pies, cakes etc. A lot of what you eat already can be modified much cheaper than this. Pulses and lentils can be purchased in bulk and dry for much the same price as anything meaty you would replace it with. A bolognase - replace mince with lentils, etc. If you stick to whole foods and not processed things then I really don't think there is much of a price difference. As far as events like BBQs etc I just tend not to go as the smell of meat now just makes me feel sick. But, take your own food and even a disposible BBQ to cook it on if you are bothered about contamination.

I am not getting on my soapbox as a Vegan, those people just annoy me and get peoples backs up. I am just trying to offer guidance as I became vegan about 5 or even 6 years ago now. Do your research before you start, if you don't you will fail at it. Ask other people, look on forums. It is really not that hard. When I can walk into town and get a Vegan Sausage Roll from Greggs now, its pretty good.

If you need any info, or any help for resources etc please ask. That goes for anybody. Vegan haters are welcome :P

Oh, one bit of advice, if you have tea or coffee and you want a milk substitute, either use KOKO or a brand that has one for Baristas or Professionals. This way it wont curdle.
    I think if it was to happen then I would just go vegetarian and avoid meats rather than anything involving animals.

Aren't lentils like seedy things? Is a bolognese a bolognese without meat?

And if I'd have to stick to fake meats because a diet without at least a fake substitute for meat would be boring

Thank you for the advice, it does seem pretty expensive, but I'm at the very least going to stop eating pork and lamb. Sometimes when looking at a burger, the average person forgets that the meat was stolen from an animal that was as conscious and aware as we are. It's so sad

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You are able to get to the GP surgery though but maybe your Mum comes with you?
    I only go by myself if my mum is working and I have an emergency, for example, when I thought I had jaundice. I'm able to go a route where I can avoid seeing people I may know though. What I'm mainly scared of though is seeing people I know in the waiting room

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I think you are making excuses Toby. As hard as it might be to achieve certain things, you still have to work at them and find a way forward, otherwise you will be sat in your room for the rest of your life - achieve nothing and be miserable. I've spouted on about the merits of voluntary work many times on here, so won't bother to do it again in detail, but I think most voluntary roles are low-pressure ways to engage with people and issues you feel strongly about. (As it happens my daughter is spending the summer at an animal rescue place) You only have to commit to small amounts of time - even every saturday morning.

I think I've seen the video you talk about, accidentally came across it (if its the same one) a few years ago. It rocked me to my core. I have been vegetarian for 20 years (bordering on vegan right now). I have no issue with people eating meat however, providing they source their meat based on animal welfare issues, and the animal has had a good life and been humanely euthanased. Being vegetarian or vegan now is so much easier than it used to be, there is almost no comparison to 20 years ago - there are stacks of really great recipes availiable online, most major supermarket now have vegan ranges also. We all had vegan last night and it was really healthy.
    I have no WILL to do anything. Like, it's easy enough to say go and volunteer but there are a million problems for me, like how I'll get there (I hate getting like 10 buses), who I might see while getting there, what if I start worrying while I'm there, will I look presentable enough, what if I don't get enough sleep the night before and I'm exhausted all day?

Yep the video was shocking. I can't get it out of my mind.

I think if the animal has lived a couple of years and then is slaughtered in a stress free humane way, then that's okay I guess, but most of the time they're slaughtered after like, 6 months.

And the whole process behind halal and kosher meat is so sick and twisted. Imagine slitting a live animal's throat instead of stunning them just because a dusty old book from thousands of years ago says so. That's the same as slitting the throat of a live, conscious human.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    They do good work in their investigations but they are not without criticism for their own issues, one being they don't believe in the no kill movement and continue to euthanise.

Can you see the anxiety issue in there? It wants you to go back to a scary trigger and start it all over again. It will fade soon unless you choose to keep it going. This thread now needs to be about discussing lifestyle change/ethics as opposed to you wanting to be reassured so best not to keep it going about how you felt as that time has passed.
    Yeah. How can I stop myself from watching it again though, because it's all I can think about. Do I just tell myself NO?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    "Unless you choose to keep it going" are the significant words to consider here.

So what lifestyle changes are you going to make, Toby? Within reason of course. Small changes can make a big difference.
    I sometimes used to eat pork and now I'm not going to. I never ate lamb anyway but I have more the reason to continue now.

I might try some of the vegan options at McDonald's and if I like that, then I'll continue to have it whenever I go

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information