Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Very afraid

Re: Very afraid

See 1.8 P8-9:

https://researchbriefings.files.parl...1/CBP-7171.pdf

You might find that legal right is affected by the ability to offer an alternative testing location although patient ability to reach it would also be a consideration.

Also see https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/can...ral#howquickly as it differs outside of England.

Fishman I can't help thinking why Mrs F had no follow-up in 2015 when they found 7 cysts. I'm not saying they are cancer related and being as it was 4 years ago would probably point to them being anything more. But I find it strange that Mrs F didn't follow that through for investigation and also her GP at the time.
    7 cysts on your breast is an incredible amount.
    4 years after and the situation is being looked at.
    And this 6-8 weeks wait sounds like a time from an patients request not a GP referral of urgency.
    Something is amiss here. I think you need to speak to the GP yourself and find out what's what. Why has she waited so long to get this checked out?
    How has Mrs F reacted when she found out it was up to a two month wait? I know I wouldn't be best pleased.
    I know when my mum had breast cancer it was dealt with very quickly and there was no doubt that she did have it on examination.
    Fishman, the situation has already upped your anxiety. Find out as much information as you can, because you need to know the facts here, it's all a bit obscure as it stands. x

I agree with Carnation. An urgent referral means just that-within 2 weeks no matter which hospital is involved.I thought Mrs F had had a recent mammogram because you mentioned your anxiety regarding the imminent test?

I'm really surprised you didn't get a call from them yesterday too. I know there's "patient confidentiality" but I think you do need to at least try to find out what is going on here.

Hi guys and thank you so much for the advice, suggestions and statistics. OK the mammogram in October I think? of 2015 showed the 7 cysts, Mrs F was reassured as was I but it never occurred to me that it would need following up. So if breast scans are carried out every 3 years then she should have had one last October. I can only conclude that she had a reminder letter but didn't act on it. I'm hoping that won't prove costly.

Mrs F phoned the GP surgery late yesterday afternoon and left a message on their system requesting a referral to a different hospital. She then phoned again this lunchtime and got through to the receptionist, who promised she was on to it, as in referral request. I heard her explain that the previous hospital had the 6 to 8 week wait and that she wasn't happy with it. We've had no return call so am assuming they will either phone tomorrow or send a letter?

Also something I'm wondering. When she is referred to a different hossy, does the 2 week limit start over again from today or from the original date which was a week yesterday the 5th? Surely the latter.

PS - Pulisa the scan you're thinking of was an MRI which she couldn't attend, Friday the 9th. That was for the fibromyalgia though.

PPS - she did have an X-ray at the end of June though on her hip I think. It's difficult to ask her these questions as she is asleep so often, she is now.
    Last edited by fishman65; 13-08-19 at 19:27.

Hi Fishman.

I had a 2-week referral a while ago and it was 2 weeks from the date of referral, rather than from the date of the appointment. I have a feeling they booked it there and then on the phone through the Choose & Book system, though I can't quite remember. I definitely got an appointment letter quite quickly. With mine, there had been a bit of confusion as I had thought it was a 2-week referral, but the GP had put it in as "urgent", and the wait for "urgent" was more like the 6-8 weeks your wife has been given. It was then upgraded when I called to ask about it. It's possible something like that has happened, and I'd be inclined to advise your wife to contact the GP surgery again to confirm that the referral has been completed and what the expected timescale is. I hope you hear something soon. It's very hard waiting.

It's 2 weeks from the date of request by your GP. It no longer remains a right if you choose to change the appointment, say you can't make it or ask for a different location as you are waiving your rights. If they could slide the 2 weeks back on the basis of them changing hospital it would allow the NHS to start massaging their lead times so I don't think that would be allowed (or at least it wouldn't once the media got a hold of it...bosses may certainly try such things until they are caught out
    ). However, from a practical point of view it may not be reasonable in certain circumstances e.g. the first hospital drops the ball and the second only has 48hrs to make the target, but certainly nothing like 6-8 weeks but it may be legally considered "as soon as is possible" which then becomes subjective (I've worked with lead times in regulatory environments in the utility sector and this tends to be how governance word any it to allow for later appraisal of whether the service have attempted to do as much as they can, but I can't speak for the NHS lead times). It may say in one of the above docs.

There are a load of NHS pledges on top of this that cover diagnosis and starting any treatment but they aren't legal rights.

Dying Swan and Terry, thank you for your posts. Mrs F phoned this morning, she was promised a return call from the referral secretary which never came. So she phoned again and the secretary had gone home. So, we are to phone at 8am. From your post Terry I understand that means the 2 week scale starts again then? Ten days of this hell already, the anxiety has been unbelievable.

SO, did the GP do another referral? She should NOT have to be ringing around people as she is, this is nuts, and makes no sense. I can't work this whole scenario out to be honest Fish, I do think you need to be present when these phone calls/meetings take place to get the facts.
    Last edited by Carys; 15-08-19 at 15:24.

I agree. Stand next to Mrs F next time she phones or better still, you phone with Mrs F next to you.

Thanks guys for your support, it means such a lot to me and I only wish I could be as supportive to you all but I'm in survival mode right now. OK I was at my Dad's and a call came through from the GP surgery secretary on the mobile. She has made another referral to a different hospital again (are you allowed to name hossys on this site?), though whether this one has shorter waiting lists I do not know. I've gone online with the choose and book thing and requested an appt. Is it cheeky to phone the clinic and ask about appt waiting times? Surely we have to accept somewhere at some point?

With Mrs F she is asleep so much I have to make decisions for her or she'd never get anywhere. The clinic shuts at 5pm but its an answer phone all the time. I've even started reading my Claire Weekes 'Peace from Nervous Suffering', that's a sure sign I'm struggling. Bit late now though.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information