Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Very afraid

Re: Very afraid

I'm pleased you don't have a long wait and well done for getting it sorted.

Thanks guys, you're all a very special group of people, I hope you know that. I keep wondering how much of this is in my head and how much is reality, because anxiety skews everything doesn't it. On the one hand I'm thinking of how I'm going to negotiate the actual visit to the hospital, on the other my reaction to a negative outcome. I have to remind myself that a medical investigation of this kind would be a worrying time for anybody, let alone for us who have anxiety disorders.

So maybe I can influence how I react to the situation and have been trying meditation. There is one I've found on youtube 'Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over Thinking' by Micheal Sealey. Is he any good? Though quite how I'm going to practice it while navigating a very busy town centre en route to the hospital, I don't know.

Well we've dodged the bullet again. We went into see the consultant who gave Mrs F a clinical exam and straight away he said he thought it was fibrous tissue. He ordered a mammogram and ultrasound to make sure, his words. The ultrasound revealed a swollen lymph node in her armpit but nothing suspicious.

So ends 3 weeks of health anxiety which I'm pretty sure I'd be diagnosed with if I went to see a psych doctor. Though in my defence, Mrs F genuinely thought there was something wrong too. And the radiographer did say he would rather we regretted wasting their time than coming in too late to be treated and regretting then.

So I can garden again now and all the other stuff normal people do. The anxiety meanwhile will switch to something else.

Aw, congratulations to both of you, that's wonderful!

Fantastic news. I'm so pleased for you both. Please don't beat yourself up. Anxiety is normal in some situations and I'd say this was one of those situations. Enjoy your garden

PHEW!!!! Best news ever! Now breath!

Thanks guys, I honestly feel exhausted by it all. But the GP needed to cover his back and in such situations you need a consultant's opinion. It was very sobering being in the breast clinic though, thinking of the poor women there who are not so lucky.

My dad said that when he went in for some lumps (not the breast clinic though, although navigating our local hospital can be tricky ). It's what made him finally give up smoking.

Glad to hear it is all sorted. Given your wife has health complications I would expect any GP to be more cautious because she is in at risk grips for things unlike others.

And you've dealt with the really bad part...hospital parking!

Thanks Terry. Oh yes hospital parking, I've yet to find an easy hospital car park. I'm pleased to hear your Dad packed up the smoking, its the single worst thing we can do for our health I think. You're right about Mrs F's health issues, when you already have a list of diagnosed illnesses it stands to reason that your body can only take so much. But we live to fight another day.

Cheers fishman. He hasn't smoked in probably 10 years now after weaning off. He had give up before many years ago but started again. Been smoking all his life and now in his late 70's. Life gives us a little nudge in the right direction with those near misses.

Our hospital is the same. Caring people will give you their tickets to save you wasting your money. It has always amazed me how the NHS have the cheek to charhe their own staff which is a significant salary cut to many, I'm less concerned about the whinging consultant parking the £60k Merc though

The weather is pretty good at the moment so you should be ok for a spot of gardening. I often find just garden maintence work is very good for anxiety although I think our resident sparrows were glad I buggered off back in today so they could get at their food.

Maybe you & MrsF can have a nice day out if the weather is good?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information