Thread: Strange feeling in face

Strange feeling in face

For about a week now I’ve been feeling like my left cheek feels swollen and the feeling radiates around the sinus area but I don’t have congestion at all. I know I’m over analyzing but I swear my face looks slightly puffy on that side. My husband says I look normal. Saw there dentist maybe two weeks ago so I dunno that I have major cavities no pain in my teeth. I do wear Invisalign but have for theee years now ... could it be my jaw just feels tense and that could cause some swelling?

Re: Strange feeling in face

If no one is noticing the swelling, then it's perceived. Tensing of the jaw can indeed cause tension and your anxiety distorts reality and amplifies the feelings.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Could be tension in the jaw, yes. Do you know if you have TMJ disorder, or do you have symptoms? Jaw tightness / aching, clicking / popping, etc? I do, despite no formal diagnosis of TMJ disorder, and it certainly does make my jaw feel as if it's swollen from time to time. I've been having that off and on for many years now. Nothing to worry about, but annoying and sometimes painful nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by bin tenn View Post
    Could be tension in the jaw, yes. Do you know if you have TMJ disorder, or do you have symptoms? Jaw tightness / aching, clicking / popping, etc? I do, despite no formal diagnosis of TMJ disorder, and it certainly does make my jaw feel as if it's swollen from time to time. I've been having that off and on for many years now. Nothing to worry about, but annoying and sometimes painful nonetheless.
    Thanks fishman for responding and bin tenn.

Yes I do have some popping and I wear Invisalign at night so I know I’m clamping down all night. I know I’ve always carried anxiety and tension in my jaw but the funky cheek feelings are new to me. I realized how out of control I was being when I started googling jaw asymmetry lol.

Yeah, that's a sign of how out of control... :P But yeah, a TMJ disorder, or even grinding teeth and / or clenching your jaw can do this stuff.

Thread Information