Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Escitalopram - stick with it or stick it?

Thanks for that Twister.

Well I started taking the Escitalopram again and, lo and behold, had no more symptoms. So I had 3 days of hell, but from the 4th day no problems.

I increased the dosage from 5 to 10mg a couple of days back and the symptoms have come back. I'm banking on the idea that they will go away again in the next few days as the body gets used to it. I'll post on the progress.

Hi everyone,

Thought I would post on the progress - basically I decided to stick with the Escitalopram as opposed to sticking them, and I'm glad I did.

The side effects have now all but vanished. I am not aware of any effect at present, neither good nor bad. To be honest I am not really sure what is supposed to be happening - maybe it already is. I have read about a "Ready Brek glow" though and I can't say that I can feel that or in any way markedly more cheerful. I do however appear to be sleeping better. I think the tablets maybe make me a little bit more tired, although if that IS happening it is so subtle that I can't be sure. Nevertheless I have been sleeping regularly 8 hours and on time the last few nights without sleeping tablets. We will see if this continues.

One thing that has been very helpful has been seeing the psychiatrist. He has explained that although I have been diagnosed with depression, it is not a chronic thing and is not due to a lack of serotonin. So I am not "depressed" per se. A more accurate reading would be that it is a disorder with a cause (in my case exhaustion) and the course of medication gives you time out from what what caused it (something similar to what Meg mentions earlier on in the post). Therefore you don't blame yourself for the state you're in or push yourself to get back to normal - you relax and come back at your own pace.

So I have to say that I have been encouraged and supported by the medical professionals so far. There is so much bad press around about psychiatry and pharmaceuticals but in my case I have found it very helpful up till now.

Still early days but hopeful

hi glad to hear you stuck with it, im not sure how soon the effects of any medication starts to kick in but i think you have to take them for a while before you get the effects, but saying that you sound to be in a really positive mood so perhaps they are working but not causing massive changes that you can see just a slow subtle change

fan x

Thats good news Biggle,

I'be heard people say that the benefit crept up and one day they recognised that they felt much better and more comfortable in their outlook. Not such a struggle each day.

With exhaustion take care to replenish reserves that will have run dry over several months - so eat well and regularly too.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hello everyone. I thought I would continue the journal, as I myself have never liked reading posts which start, only for the poster to fall off the radar with the result that you don't know how the situation ends!

Well, since the last post I have continued to take Escitalopram without fail. I was taking Bromazapam and Lormetazepam on an as-needed basis, but my psychiatrist took me off them about a month ago. At the same time he increased the Escitalopram dose to 15mg. There has certainly been improvement and I would say, for those readers at an earlier stage, that the improvement happens over time. I don't think I really knew what the improvements were until the last week or so, although the seeds were there very early on. I do not feel ecstatic or like I am seeing everything through rose-tinted glasses. I do however feel more solid, more stable.

I find that I react to frustrating situations with more equanimity. Also, when a situation arises where I would get a panicky feeling that would escalate or linger, I do recognise the situation and I think "oh here we go" and then....it doesn't happen. It is strange but comforting. The psychiatrist has been at pains to point out that this is NOT coming from the medication, that it is coming from me. I suppose that this can only tested months after stopping the medication, but I get the point, which is that this is how I can and have to be after leaving the medication. And I believe it is possible and that it lies with me.

The downside to the Escitalopram has been a decrease of interest in sex. Also the inability to drink alcohol. The second not necessarily being a bad thing. I was prone to a binge or two (or three) per week. Since the start of the medication, after one or two drinks, I just don't fancy any more, and I feel tired at the time and the next day if I have any more. At first I didn't know if these problems were really happening or not but over the last month it has been noticeable. I mentioned the first of these to the psychiatrist and he lowered the dose back to 10mg. I have only started this dose again this morning so I couldn't comment as to whether it has helped. I have also been advised that due to my progress I could leave the medication now, or continue until 6 months is up. The recommendation is to come off it after 6 months as there is less chance of a relapse.

The psychiatric counselling has been excellent. Without going into too much detail, he points me in the right direction, guiding me how to plan the coming month. Most of it is simple stuff but it works. He appears to have worked me out and presses the right buttons. All the thinking is done by me, but I am given gentle hints about how to go about it. It has helped me formulate a plan regarding work I have run by my doctor and psychiatrist and was greeted with enthusiasm.

So, cautiously optimistic then.

Biggle,

Thanks you for coming back to update us and I'm very glad to hear you feeling that you're doing well and making progress.

Additionally, I am very relieved to hear you praising the mental health care you're getting. We tend to hear an awful lot of negative stories and experiences and having been on the other end delivering the care I know its not all bad.

Keep it up and hear from you next time you're passing.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Biggle

Hey good to see you back and yes we do wonder about previous members that disappear into the ether!

Glad the counselling is going well and I hope it continues to do so.

Well done on the progress so far!

Nicola

Hi everyone.

I decided to resurrect this one as I came off medication 10 days ago. I went from 15mg of escitalopram at the highest point, to 10mg and tapered off after 6 months in total, doing 1 then 1/2 every other day for 15 days, followed by 15 days of halves, and finally 15 days of 1/2 and zero every other day.

For the first 5 days I was ok and kept busy. However, I then started with terrible headaches - whole left side of the head sensitive and tense, with stabbing pains on the left temple every 5/10 seconds. I had these for 3 days before I went to the doctor, who prescribed Triptan for 2 blasts in case it was Migraine and anti-inflammatories. These have helped lessen the pain, but the tension is still there - in the face, jaw and temples. Mood wise, I´ve been alternately depressive/cheerful/tearful/morbid/dazed since the headaches came.

My psychiatrist suggested starting escitalopram again, but I objected that I was just postponing what was happening until the next time I came off. In the end he suggested giving it a month off the meds and then, if the headaches persisted, that he would put me on Lexapro and Triptan full time.

So a month it is then. I have to say though, it really is hard going. If anyone there has had similar problems coming off anti-depressants, or if you think it is pure co-incidence for the headaches and moods to start up now, I´d love to hear your opinions.

Biggle.

You still came off in 6 weeks which is quick but hey - done now and these symptoms will ease and pass within 4-6 weeks .

Its unlikely to be pure coincidence - they are classic symptoms.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thanks for the reply Meg. I´m a little irritated that none of the medical professionals warned me about this, but anyway, never mind, here we are.

I´ll keep posting the progress, or lack of, over the next few weeks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information