Thread: Does this sound like vitiligo? Extremely anxious!

Does this sound like vitiligo? Extremely anxious!

Hi, I suffer from dandruff and dry skin, a month ago I used to wake up with crusty/scaley flakes on my hairline, I have brown skin, and this week I see my hairline is pale and when I brush my nails through it, it feels physical, like its not a part of the skin and skin peels off when I scratch it, only within thr pale parts, when I scratch the normal parts of my skin, no flakes come off.

I went to the doctors today and have come out feeling much worse than going in, she was very unsympathetic, she was umming and looked confused, like she couldn't figure out what it was, I asked, it isnt vitiligo is it, she didnt give me a straight answer, quite rude to be honest, she said there was some scaling but she has referred me to a dermatologist, I also booked a 2nd opinion for tomorrow with a much friendlier one, I'm just feeling worse now. I really dont want it to be vitiligo :(

Re: Does this sound like vitiligo? Extremely anxious!

Have you heard of tinea versicolor? I had something similar to what you described, though it was patches on / around my collarbone area. Asked my doc a few years ago, and that's what he suggested. Many of the photos online show more severe (widespread) cases of it, but mine was basically identical except in a limited area in small patches. Doc prescribed a RX equivalent of Selsun Blue, and it went away a while later. Hasn't come back since.

Went to the doctors last week and its exactly what you said. She gave me cream and shampoo buy It hadn't cleared up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD.SUX View Post
    Went to the doctors last week and its exactly what you said. She gave me cream and shampoo buy It hadn't cleared up yet.
    Look at me, doctoring over teh interwebz. 💪 Haha just kidding. But yeah, give it time. It won't disappear overnight, or in a very short period of time. I have no idea what causes it, but it's nothing to worry about even if it lasts a while. Thanks for the update.

Thread Information