Thread: Feel like I can't get a "satisfying" deep breath - anxiety?

Feel like I can't get a "satisfying" deep breath - anxiety?

Anyone else get this? The last couple of days I've kept feeling this urge to take a deep breath in (sometimes for hours at a time), and usually when I do, it doesn't feel satisfying, like my lungs aren't getting filled. The reason I suspect it's anxiety is it usually gets somewhat better when I get my mind off it (although that's hard to do!).

It does NOT get worse with exercise - in fact it often improves for a short while after exercising - which makes me fairly confident it isn't anything serious, although I can't help but wonder if it could be some kind of asthma? I'm not wheezing and only have a mild cough that I think is related to my acid reflux, and the last time I went in to the doctor about 15 days ago I had my oxygen checked and it was literally at 100%. Does this sound like asthma at all? Wouldn't asthma get worse with exercise? I really don't want to drag myself back to the doctor AGAIN if this is just another anxiety thing. The feeling of not being able to get that deep breath is just scary.

I find I can get that satisfying breath a lot more when I belly breathe, but I don't really know how to belly breathe when I'm sitting up or standing, I can only do it when I'm lying down.

Re: Feel like I can't get a "satisfying" deep breath - anxiety?

Very common ANXIETY SYMPTOM.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Very common, and made worse by reflux.

The best thing you can do is ignore it and stop trying to take a deep breath, you'll be hyperventilating and making it worse.

I am experiencing this right now, as well as a feeling of someone pressing into my throat. Extremely annoying!

Thread Information