Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moles again

Unhappy Mole Biopsy

Here we go AGAIN. Every time I go to the dermatologist they want to biopsy moles. I have a bunch on me, and they all look "ugly". However my first very good dermo that I had said "that's just how your body makes moles". So, I keep an eye on them.

But today she wanted to biopsy 2 moles on my back. She looked at them with her dermoscope thing I think and still wanted to biopsy. I don't know if the dermoscope is like some sort of accurate test or what (I don't want to google).

I'm pretty sure she used it the last couple times I had biopsies but I can't remember (all moles came back totally benign).

At least the pink spot I was worried about was just a keratosis. I have already had basal cell carcinoma so this is my trigger. Had to take a huge xanax just to go into my appointment.

Re: Mole Biopsy

I have terrible mole anxiety too and take Xanax for my appts. I am currently overdue for my mole check because i am afraid to go. How long will it take to get results? I totally sympathize with you having to wait for the results. they are probably benign though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend whose son's father has a familial genetic predisposition to melanoma. To the point where one girl even passed from it at age 23.

At 17 this poor kid got melanoma on his foot, but they got it all, or so they though. Then three years later, this summer, the nevus came back, so needless to say, the family was very worried. The dermatologist removed it, they sent it up the food chain of pathologists. It ended up going all the way to the Mayo Clinic. It took over three weeks. Even the doctor was discussing potential chemotherapy and radiation treatments, and perhaps having to remove the middle toe it was on.

With all that doom and gloom, the biopsy actually came back, "negative for melanoma, just severe atypia." Even this poor kid, now gone through the ringer, did not have melanoma.

The point of all this, is that something like 95% of all pathologies come back *not* cancer. Even ones that are super suspicious--this kid had every red flag in the world--and still was in the clear.

It usually takes like a week to get results.

I mean, my only consolation is that I was at the dermo like 4 months ago, and she didn't biopsy them then and I don't think they have changed much in the meantime.

I'm almost out of Xanax and OF COURSE my psychiatrist is MIA right now due to family issues and has like zero appointments available to get a refill. :(

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

I don't really understand the need to move it. The best way to kill a forum is to create too many subforums. This forum has a great search feature - people can find what they need without endless subcategories

So we just have one forum then called "problems" and post everything in there???

People do NOT use the search facility.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Dysplastic Nevus

I really got put through the wringer today. I had been waiting on biopsy results for two moles for over a week, which is stressful in and of itself. Usually they call and leave a message and say "the moles were benign" and that's it. So today I looked at my messages and saw that they wanted me to call them back. That means something is up - the only other time they did that was when I had the BCC on my nose.

So, I start really freaking out. I call them and I have to be on hold for so long listening to a recording about melanoma and other skin cancers over and over.

Then the nurse assistant gets on the line and is so SOMBER. She goes "Are you [my name]? My name is _____ and I will be assisting you today." Sounding like she was at a funeral or something.

At this point I'm like sweating blood because the two moles I had biopsied were irregular brown moles, so if something was wrong all I can think is that it's melanoma.

But they said I had two dysplastic nevus and the dermo wanted to fully excise them.

I mean, I was relieved but also still upset. Last week I heard friend from high school who is 2 years younger than me got melanoma (he is doing ok now). And I am in a high risk group as I have a number of "odd" moles and a family history of melanoma.

I just don't know. I was doing so well ignoring my skin and trusting that my 2-3x a year dermo visits were enough. But now I'm afraid I'm going to be ultra worried all the time again.

I am exhausted and I hate that I have to go through this several times a year. They always want to biopsy something when I go in :( At this point I just want them to biopsy all my moles at once and just be done with it.

Re: Dysplastic Nevus

Sorry this is worrying you. I obviously can't say whether you should be truly concerned or not, but keep in mind it's not something to worry about unless the derm says you should worry. Dysplastic nevi are seemingly a common occurrence, and as far as I know they have no direct correlation to melanoma. Last I read (when I had my melanoma anxiety up to a couple years ago) they still don't understand a whole heck of a lot about melanoma and dysplastic nevi. Keep in mind that's "what I read" and is no replacement for what your derm may tell you. They're the expert. But there are soooo many stories of people have dysplastic lesions being removed and they never develop any skin cancer. It happens.

I understand that you have family history, so it makes sense that you're worried. I get it. But again, let your derm guide you. They know what they're doing, they see this stuff all the time. I hope everything goes well.

Re: Dysplastic Nevus

I've had dysplastic nevi removed before and they are benign. Also had a squamous cell carcinoma (in situ) removed from my shoulder which is fine. Now have to have a couple of precancerous lesions (more SSC) removed from my scalp (where the parting is) at the front. All these are caused by sun damage and far more common than melanoma but I get a whole skin check yearly as well. I live in New Zealand which gets a lot of sun (high UV) in summer, so do cover up and also wear a cap or hat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information