Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Adorable Bats Thread

Red face The Adorable Bats Thread

...Because bats get way too much bad press on NMP.

adorable-bats-18-59e5fdd758611__700.jpg

More later - feel free to post your own!

Re: The Adorable Bats Thread

They are absolutely gorgeous! They nest by my house and we get the most wonderful displays of them swooping around eating the bugs, I have always enjoyed sitting out in the evening with them overhead.

Only ever had one inside, thanks to a rather prevalent hunter cat in my childhood, with a mother that’s scared stiff of anything with wings possibly flying near her- that was quite an experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

I am so jealous of people who have them nearby.

I have never seen one in the flesh.

I've been to a free-flying bat exhibit at Chester Zoo, where they swoop low over your head.

I'm also a massive fan of Batzilla's YouTube channel, where she rehabs orphaned fruit bats.

Why do you think they have such a bad reputation BlueIris? I have to admit it's one of my phobias, but looking at your pics, they look so cute. Why are we afraid?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Why do you think they have such a bad reputation BlueIris? I have to admit it's one of my phobias, but looking at your pics, they look so cute. Why are we afraid?
    Because of the Batman...but we all love Robins

Likely a mysticism thing. Vampires, evil, etc.

One of those things that seems to carry on through the generations like with snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I've been to a free-flying bat exhibit at Chester Zoo, where they swoop low over your head.

I'm also a massive fan of Batzilla's YouTube channel, where she rehabs orphaned fruit bats.
    I've been in that bat house. Did they have the tunnel you walk through where the bats zip past your legs when you went?

There is a protected wood 15 mins walk from me that has roosting bats. It backs onto a street of houses with a pub on the other side of the wood.

I also have a local park with a small lake 20 mins walk from me that attracts them. If you go at dusk you can watch them zipping over the lake catching moths.

We don't seem to get them near us otherwise. I occasionally see them if walking in the night to the local Tesco as there are nearby farmers fields. Once I was throwing some reduced to clear veg bags I'd just bought in the Tesco (there are rabbits on the industrial estate) in the night, shook the carrier bag out and suddenly a whole swarm of bags came hurtling out of the bush next to me...but sadly I wasn't cured of my fears and didn't turn to crime fighting.

The bats in this thread are so cute! Look at those faces & eyes. Yes, they get a bad rep on here and for no reason. But are we getting a "cute brain eating amoebas" thread too?

I LOVE bats, what a great idea to start the thread! I'm sure I've wittered about bats before on here, well I know I have.....but we have some in the garden every night swopping about, and I have a bat detector (to try and differentiate the different species) AND I go on bat finding walks, and and......

These fruit bats on some of the images are AMAZING.

I have to say I find them cute and adorable even when they don't have those large pleading eyes and baby dog faces.....look at this one.....a soprano pipistrelle is like a flying pompom.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information