Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to change overthinking.

How to change overthinking.

Hi,
    As many of you know this overthinking of everything is part of anxiety but I just wondered how you all deal with it? For me the thought pings in my head then I dwell on it until eventually I either totally avoid the situation or try it and panic which then leads me to want to avoid it again. I'm on 30mg of cit, done CBT, counseling, been hypnotized and now feel like I am running out of things to try and help me.
    Sometimes I can be ok and push through but then I dwell on it for days and make myself anxious all over again!!
    I am so sick of feeling like this. Any ideas would be truly gratefully recieved. Xx

Re: How to change overthinking.

Meditation deals with this directly and effectively. It's not an overnight cure, more of an ongoing re-training of the brain.

I use a breathing technique to interrupt the thoughts, the more you use it the more effective it becomes.

I've been on meds a while. I have been reading up on the breathing and relaxation it takes me ages to relax. Probably need more practise. Thanks for your responses x

Meditation and relaxation techniques do take a long time to practice and perfect. They are slow burn cures, but they ARE cures. Think of it as something you have to practice for weeks/months rather than minutes and then give up.

Thanks for the reminder, Joe. I'm still working on my meditation practices and have been slacking the past few days. Even though I have got to be somewhere in an hour, I'm going to take 15 minutes right now and DO IT!
    Sue

It can be 60 seconds if that's all the time you have. Once it becomes habitual and part of your life, you can do it for any amount of time, anywhere. Even in a life (or elevator in Freedomunits©)....

I know you've explained it before, as have several other people, but I still am not clear on how to know if I'm on the right track with meditating. I know there are several different types with several different practices and end results, but what is it I'm trying to accomplish? I originally thought it was to totally clear my mind, but I would have to be brain dead for that to happen. the last time I saw my hypnotherapist he told me to "meditate on . . . "whatever subject we were talking about at the time. I thought I wasn't supposed to think while I was meditating so how can it have a subject matter?

When I listen to binaural beats, I get totally relaxed and even when the music stops I like to stay in silence for a while, but is that meditation? How will I know when I'm doing it right, and how will I know if what I'm doing now isn't just a waste of time if I'm doing it wrong? There probably is no "wrong" way as long as we keep trying, but I can't handle one more book that tells me to focus on my breathing. There is nothing exciting or audible or noticeable enough about my breathing to keep me focused on it for more than 30 seconds.
    Sue

May I recommend downloading the Headspace app? As well as the pay components it has a really good free introduction to meditation that provides a very easy, stress free entry point. I tend to worry a lot about getting things wrong, and I found it immensely reassuring.

Thanks! Heading there now.
    Sue

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information