Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to change overthinking.

Re: How to change overthinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Your mind wandering every 15 seconds is completely normal. Even wandering after 5 seconds is normal. Remember, it's the practice of re-focusing that's the point, not the actual focus itself. If you get frustrated, acknowledge the frustration and simply re-focus. Your awareness of that frustration is part of the process, and probably a source of historical anxiety.
    That may be one of the most reassuring, instructional suggestions I've heard, thank you!
    Sue

Think I might try this myself, thanks guys.

Just tried 10 minutes of laying back with eyes closed, focused on my breathing and if nothing else, it has brought my attention to just how tense my body is. We become inured to our bodies being like a taut spring, it's our normal but hopefully with some practice...

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Just tried 10 minutes of laying back with eyes closed, focused on my breathing and if nothing else, it has brought my attention to just how tense my body is. We become inured to our bodies being like a taut spring, it's our normal but hopefully with some practice...
    It's an interesting observation because the body can effectively work in a feedback loop. If you're used to being tense you won't notice it, but your CNS will. Therefore your CNS will react, making you more tense...etc etc.

You may find the 'Body Scan' by Mark Williams useful. It's a guided mindful meditation that just observes bodily sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by DustingMyselfOff View Post
    Well since the majority of meditators suggest breathing to be the focus, apparently it must be successful and the preferred method of those who teach meditation, so I will try, yet again, to let that be my focus. But I don't hear my breathing, and I don't feel the air passing through my nose, and I find my mind wanders within 15 seconds when I try to focus on the rise and fall of my stomach and chest. So I guess THAT is precisely what I need to practice..... bringing my focus back to my boring breathing even though I get frustrated with it and look for something more stimulating to focus on.

I'm going to be a hard nut to crack on this breathing technique, but all the successful meditators can't be wrong.
    Sue
    When I started my therapist gave me some by their supervisor. There were 3 different breathing inductions that you can start with for a few minutes each and then you enter a longer period of just sitting observing your thoughts. If you thoughts starting dragging you into thinking about things or into areas you want to steer them back but can't you redo some of the breathing induction to stop your mind thinking about thoughts and distract it by focussing on a part of the body again. The same can be achieved with anything and is used in other distraction techniques.

The mind will wander more because a) you are in an overthinking state in general and b) you notice your thoughts more now than you did before being anxious. Professionals have been saying for a while that the mind is much busier than they realised (the more recent 'Mind Pops' springs to mind) and we largely don't hear this background noise. Anxious people notice is for the same reasons they notice every buzz or ache in their body, sensitisation due to the CNS being in a higher state.

Has anyone heard of TRE (tension and "trauma" releasing exercises)? It's a new relaxation technique for those who have no patience with mindfulness and who are too fidgety to meditate (not my words). It comprises a series of movements that encourage the muscles to shake with the idea that this will help to release the tightness in the body which is caused by stress.

TRE workshops are apparently springing up everywhere (at £80 an hour!) I'd better start saving up!!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Has anyone heard of TRE (tension and "trauma" releasing exercises)? It's a new relaxation technique for those who have no patience with mindfulness and who are too fidgety to meditate (not my words). It comprises a series of movements that encourage the muscles to shake with the idea that this will help to release the tightness in the body which is caused by stress.

TRE workshops are apparently springing up everywhere (at £80 an hour!) I'd better start saving up!!
    Those that are too fidgety or impatient to meditate are ironically the ones that should probably practice it the most.

It's the idea that there's a quick fix out there that keeps people in a state of anxiety for decades as they're always chasing something that doesn't exist.

TRE may well offer some kind of physical release/benefit, but that very core psychological issue that you believe prevents meditation being right you is the same mental habit that keeps you anxious in the first place.

How do you fit meditation into your busy lifestyle as a carer, Joe? Especially when your partner and children are all demanding your time.

How do you fit meditation into your busy lifestyle as a carer, Joe? Especially when your partner and children are all demanding your time.
    10-15 minutes in the morning and 10-15 minutes in the evening just before bed. I think there's a misconception that it takes hours to be beneficial.

This is why I mentioned to Sue that it's best to have a portable and quick focus point (breathing) and a regular spot to meditate in. It takes me 30 seconds to sit down and prepare myself.

I will also take the odd moment here and there when the opportunity arises. For example if I'm picking my partner up from work and I'm sitting in the car I can start to take some deep breaths and close my eyes. Even 30-60 seconds of doing this can be remarkably beneficial once your brain learns what you're trying to do. I especially like to do this if it's raining!

Being self employed helps too I guess. I'm often home alone when the kids are at school and the misses is at work.

Something else to ponder about meditation is that it has been practiced for thousands of years across multiple continents. A lot of the therapies you see crop up are (as you pointed out) trying to monetise or speed up treatment. The 'problem' with meditation is that it's free, so it's commonly pushed as an overly spiritual 'woo-woo' solution, but it's actually remarkebly scientific. You are simply undoing all the nonsense that your brain learns to respond to in modern life.

I tried relieved tension in a muscle through shaking...they will never let me in that library again

Not heard of it but all you need is an acronym and off you go in mental health circles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information