Thread: Can a pupil dilation exam cause vascular problems?

Can a pupil dilation exam cause vascular problems?

As the title says.

I had a pupil dilation exam back on the 20th Feb. It's somehow precipitated this slight intermittent problem in my vision in my left eye ever since. A roundish patch of pixelated vision around the centre of my left eye vision. Lasts 5-15 mins with the circle gradually diminishing in size and occurs about once every 2 days or so. It is often scarcely noticeable and I can certainly see through it.

I can bring it on my bending my head down for 30 secs or so. Or by looking at the bottom of a cup and reflecting the light at the bottom of the cup can precipitate it. Maybe reading my kindle for extended periods of time brings it on too.

Got my eyes tested a few days ago. Loads of tests, but apparently nothing wrong with my left eye.The ophthalmologist suggested either an ocular migraine or a vascular problem. But could a pupil dilation exam, or bright lights being shone into my eye, somehow precipitate or exacerbate a vascular problem??

PS For the sake of argument can we please assume that it was the pupil dilation exam that caused this? I am certain it was.

Re: Can a pupil dilation exam cause vascular problems?

Could you not have asked the optician at the time as he is qualified to know and we are not.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I certainly should have! Loads of questions that I just didn't think of at the time.

Ok well call them back and say you have some questions.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

You're also performing very odd self examination behaviors that no one would do under normal circumstances. It's known that extended time on electronic devices can cause visual anomalies so....

positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Ok well call them back and say you have some questions.
    If I were able to do that, why do you imagine I'm asking the question here? I can't get to communicate with any ophthalmologists, always just receptionists.

If you're unable to answer the question I'm slightly puzzled about why you're responding at all. If you cannot say anything that is helpful, then please don't respond at all.

Fine, I am out of here and will leave you to it.

You are asking for medical advice which we cannot give as we have posted about many times.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Fine, I am out of here and will leave you to it.

You are asking for medical advice which we cannot give as we have posted about many times.
    You saying you know a priori that no one will know absolutely anything about this, or are you saying that you personally cannot help at all in this matter?

If the former, I'm unclear as to how you could possibly know this. If the latter, I'm baffled as to why you feel the need to post at all in this thread.

My health problem is very trivial. I just excessively worry about my health. If people have no idea, then fair enough. I think I'll go back to see a GP next week.

My advice is to speak to the optician. Email or call and say you have some questions and could they ask the optician to speak to you.

That is good advice.

Thread Information