Thread: Can a doctor prescribe me medication?

Can a doctor prescribe me medication?

I get stuck in cycles of rumination, they come out of nowhere. It used to be about my health and worrying about cancer (as the million threads I posted during that time show), now I get worse thoughts, thoughts like am I a moral person? Were my past actions moral? Etc. I can be stuck in bed for days, I'm at one of the worst points I've ever been at.

I just want medication or something to calm me down and numb the thoughts away or something. If I go to the GP, can they prescribe me just medication? Without therapy? I dont want therapy, I dont want to go into depth about things with a therapist, I dont want them to misunderstand me.

I want to cry, I am at the worst I've ever been. Could a gp just give me medication?

Re: Can a doctor prescribe me medication?

Yes they can

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

People who suffer from anxiety do rethink the past and get stuck in rumination, guilt, what could be different-all of it. It's our tendency to relive the past and fear the future. While medication can help calm those thoughts they will not make them disappear, as there are things you need to deal with, see differently and make peace with. This is the typical anxiety brain. You can look online and read books that can help you with the ruminating thoughts and there are online CBT programs that are free so you can work through the mind chatter that keeps holding you back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's also possible you're misjudging what anxiety therapy is. It's not about going into things and analysing things. It's almost always CBT focused, which teaches you to not do the things that are causing you problems now.

The only medication that really numbs or shuts your mind of are benzo's or similar, and you wouldn't be given those for very long anyway as they're addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    Could a gp just give me medication?
    Yes, indeed they can. Discuss what you've said here. Also discuss about a referral for therapy. Personally, I found medication helpful in conjunction with therapy. It wasn't a conscious thing I noticed either. A few weeks after starting meds (for depression), my friends noticed I was more upbeat and positive. I took notice as I started sleeping better and engaging in things I enjoyed again. It really helped in quieting my mind of negative thoughts which enabled me to focus on therapy.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information