Thread: Song in my head and freaked out a bit

Song in my head and freaked out a bit

SO yesterday I tried taking Cymbalta for first time, around 1pm and fell asleep around 11:00pm. I woke up around 3:00am with a ton of anxiety and a song that I know but never listen to and it was constant and wouldn't stop, in addition my thoughts seemed "louder to me"...I do not hear voices, etc...I am OCD/with health anxiety. Things are slightly better but the song still is lingering. What is this? Is this a normal anxiety symptom? Has anyone here had this?
    I am scared Cymbalta did this and now it will never go away :( I have done horribly in past with respect to sleep/not feeling great overall with SSRI's :(
    Sorry

Re: Song in my head and freaked out a bit

It's very, very rare that I don't have at least one earworm on the go. It's not even an anxiety thing, it's a sign of being, y'know, not dead.

I'm a musician and with few exceptions, there's always some music or a song running through my mind. Heck, playing/practicing a song in my head is often how I fall asleep! When I get an "earworm", the remedy is to listen to something else

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Does "my thoughts seem louder in my head" make sense to anyone? I don't have that now but last night when my anxiety was ramped it sounded like my thoughts were "louder", inner dialogue "louder" and I could not sleep :(

Like all antidepressants there is the potential for increased anxiety when you start them so things like this are either side effects or the outcome off increased levels of anxiety. In my case it was Duloxetine that brought out OCD behaviours to the point them became problematic but I know other OCDers who have said the same about other meds like Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Citalopram, etc.

If you can, get busy and burn off some adrenaline. It can help as it forces your body to metabolise adrenaline into other chemicals it needs.

What dose are you on? At 30mg it's just a SSRI but at 60mg+ it becomes the SNRI it is marketed as because it starts to work on adrenaline. This was where I struggled.

But it's completely individual, I've spoken to people on here who have taken this and had little to no start up problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Like all antidepressants there is the potential for increased anxiety when you start them so things like this are either side effects or the outcome off increased levels of anxiety. In my case it was Duloxetine that brought out OCD behaviours to the point them became problematic but I know other OCDers who have said the same about other meds like Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Citalopram, etc.

If you can, get busy and burn off some adrenaline. It can help as it forces your body to metabolise adrenaline into other chemicals it needs.

What dose are you on? At 30mg it's just a SSRI but at 60mg+ it becomes the SNRI it is marketed as because it starts to work on adrenaline. This was where I struggled.

But it's completely individual, I've spoken to people on here who have taken this and had little to no start up problems with it.
    HI
    So Im only starting on 20mg. I really struggle so bad with almost every SSRI I ever took, meaning literally 3 hrs of sleep a night and always slightly irritable. So at 60mg, you get greater impact for OCD? I worry at that dose that I will feel numb :( oh well

So you struggled at 60mg? It didn't help OCD? thanks

Yes, I did. I did have some issues at 30mg but they weren't to bad after the first few days where the nausea hit me 30 mins after taking them (which lasted about 2 hours).

I've only tried two antidepressants so far, the other being Citalopram, and both have meant difficult side effects for me. So, bare in mind this is just one user story and someone who may struggle on all antidepressants for I all know.

I didn't have OCD before Duloxetine, just GAD. I did have OCD traits going back into childhood but they were very minor and never bothered me. I suspect with Duloxetine it was how it ramped up my anxiety far beyond what I had felt before and others have said the same about various meds and how their OCD started. Therefore I believe it's mroe about an unsuitable med, for me, and how I was perhaps more suited to lower levels of the drug. This sometimes is the case with other meds where someone goes above a level where the side effects are too strong but as they adjust downward they find they can manage and get beneficial help.

So, please take take this any anything more than anecdotal. I am mostly trying to convey how these meds can ramp up anxiety at the beginning and that worsens OCD behaviours and therefore you need to see how things go.

Thread Information