Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three nights of broken sleep in a row

Re: Three nights of broken sleep in a row

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I got six unbroken hours' sleep. This isn't a big deal.

I had to google SFI as had never heard of it. Insomnia isn't nice but a few nights poor sleep really isn't an issue. The more you worry about it, the less likely you'll sleep, in my experience. Whenever I'm tossing and turning and worrying about it, I try to remind myself that the worst that'll happen is I'll be a bit tired the next day. Seriously, try not to fret and you'll probably sleep just fine.

I haven’t slept for more than 4 hours in a row for about 7 years now. And 4 hours is a good stretch. Don’t worry too much, it makes it worse. Sometimes we just don’t sleep well.

There have been what, six documented cases of SFI outside of the 40 families that are known carriers of the familial version. That's not 60 or 600 but 6. The question is why would you think you *did* have it?

Quote Originally Posted by NervousSubject View Post
    Please someone just give me one reason why I wouldn't have SFI
    Because anxiety fuels insomnia...it is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    There have been what, six documented cases of SFI outside of the 40 families that are known carriers of the familial version. That's not 60 or 600 but 6. The question is why would you think you *did* have it?
    It's just the sudden onset of this insomnia that's scaring me....and it seems to be getting worse.

I know that SFI is extremely rare, but it still scares me. Especially after someone had theorized that sometimes prions diseases can have connections to traumatic brain injuries and I remembered a couple of days ago I hit my head...

Especially after someone had theorized that sometimes prions diseases can have connections to traumatic brain injuries and I remembered a couple of days ago I hit my head...
    And other people theorise that we are all lizard people and the earth is flat.

You're being ridiculous.

My fiance experiences sporadic bouts of insomnia. The cause? Anxiety. She doesn't have severe anxiety, but it's chronic and intermittent. She'll go a few years with zero anxiety, and suddenly she's panicking every time she leaves the house. It lasts a few months or a year or two, and the cycle repeats. She recently went to our PCP, and he prescribed low dose Mirtazapine (generic Remeron). She takes it each night at bed time, and she's out like a light. She stays asleep, save for waking up to use the restroom once on some nights. She feels great in the morning, so no negative side effects upon waking. Prior to beginning the medication, she would have loads of trouble sleeping. She couldn't fall asleep at a reasonable time. Even when she did, she'd frequently awaken at all hours of the night, unable to fall back asleep in a reasonable amount of time.

Have you talked to your doc about it?

I've been sleeping really good for a long while and then all the sudden I'm just having these instances of being up on and off all night, not knowing if I actually slept or just lied still with my eyes closed. Sometimes my mind just races when I try to close my eyes to sleep, thinking of absolutely ridiculous things....

I know that SFI is literally the rarest disease in the world and almost doesn't happen period, and that it's more than just insomnia (more like very early onset dementia) but I can't help but be concerned with my sleep patterns as of late. I don't think I've really "dreamed" in a couple of days. And dreams are usually an indication of deep sleep....
    I get the exact sensation you feel, "not knowing if I actually slept or just lied still with my eyes closed", never had anyone put that into words so well but I totally know that feeling. However I can say, it definitely does not mean you have SFI, I've had that sensation on and off when I've trouble sleeping, I think everyone, but especially anxiety sufferers tend to go through times where they have trouble sleeping, my boyfriend has anxiety too (not HA but GAD) and has the same problem at times with insomnia.

One thing that has helped me is to not put so much pressure on myself to fall asleep, just lay down and try to tell a story in my head or think about something relaxing or even mundane and tell myself its okay even if it takes me a while to sleep or if I don't sleep, usually when I'm not stressing about the act of falling asleep I fall asleep much faster.

Haven't had a full nights sleep in 30 years but still here and functioning well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information