Thread: Beta Blockers

Beta Blockers

Has anyone had any experience of beta blockers in the treatment of anxiety. I have had them prescribed today to get help with the shakes, faintness and palpitations I get when I get a panic attack. It is the fear of everyone seeing me shaking that makes things worse for me and then heightens the anxiety making it all a vicious circle.

I know they are not habit forming and from what I understand should not affect mood etc. Looking at the potential side effects as with all medicines the list looks a little daunting so I would just be interested in anyone elses experiences.

Thanks

JI

Re: Beta Blockers

Hi there

Have you read the website page about them on the left and have a search for previous threads - hundreds on here I am sure.

Which one are you on?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi, no I have not read that yet, will take a peak now.

I am on 25 mg a day of atenolol. I have been looking on line and one of my concerns is that a lot of sites say you can't just stop them but my doctor prescribed to packs of 28 and did not say anything about stopping them. I am also a bit worried about taking anything that messes with your heart.

JI

Here's the link...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms....e=betablockers

I had atenolol once but they shouldn't have given it to me cos I have asthma.

There are some posts about atenolol so enter that as a keyword in the search facility on here or scroll down to the bottom of this page for some more links.

Happy reading and hope it helps.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi JI.

i have a beta blocker, i'm on propranalol which i can take whenever i need to, they are a big help at reducing my panic and anxious symptoms, i'm sure yours will do the same, i was given three months worth.

hope they help with you

xxx

AND YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

p.s not too much though, be HAPPY

Hi Sammi, thanks for your reply. Do you only take your tablets when you are feeling particularly stressed or you know you are going to face a stressful situation or everyday? I think I like the idea more of only taking it when I feel I need it. Did you Doctor tell you that you needed to stop taking it slowly or just stop?

Thanks
    JI

I was taking 40mg of propranolol I found them quite useful. it depends on how bad ur anxiety is. At the moment my anxiety is really bad so I am going to speak to the doctor when I can get an appointment because I may need something stronger.

Interesting Nic about it making you feeling breathless if you have asthma ,

I used to suffer with asthma but havent done so in years , I have been taking propranalol 10mg today and feel terribly breathless.
    I took the pill at 12 midday and am still breathless now at 5.30pm ,
    mind you i felt a bit breathless last night too and that was without propranalol .

Thread Information