Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help, need some wise words

Re: Please help, need some wise words

Kids don't eat when they feel a bit ill. My youngest didn't eat a single thing for 11 days about 18 months ago as he had a nasty bug, I even called 111 who weren't concerned at all. They said as long as he's drinking fluids, let it pass.

Remember, you're creating the issue here, not him. Focus on you, not him. Don't over analyse his toilet or eating habits, just walk away and do something else.

Thanks everyone- being able to get rid of my worst thoughts on here helped a lot. I’m trying to be a bit less emotional about his eating and look at everything a bit more dispassionately. His behaviour is totally normal, plenty of energy. We’re on holiday and all he wants to do is swim. I’m guessing if he was ill he wouldn’t do that? Yesterday he ate a lot better (really enthusiastically fed himself some cereal he’d never had before and actually asked for lunch.) Today he’s been more picky with everything but I’m wondering if he’s playing some sort of game with me as he’ll swear blind he doesn’t like something he ate very happily the day before. He’ll drink and drink until the cows come home though...So I wonder if it’s more a temperamental 4 year old than an ill 4 year old? Maybe he’s just a bit out of sorts as we’ve been away so much this summer...

Your son is absolutely fine! It doesn’t sound like he is ill. Kids complain about tummy aches a LOT. My son does the same. Sometimes it’s to get my attention, other times it’s because he is feeling bored or he actually feels something like acidity or even different sensations in the tummy. A lot of these pains are psychological too and most parents will attest that their children have done the same.

As for the eating - honestly, not all kids are good eaters. Mine are so difficult to feed and if it were upto them they would eat Oreo cookies and drink milk all day. Other than that they would take a few nibbles of whatever I give them. Was your child ever a good eater?

He’s never been an amazing eater- he’s just never been super bothered about food but there are some things you can rely on him wanting (dry cereal and yoghurt in the morning, peanut butter on toast at ANY time, his favourite crisps...) and over the last few days he’s not been bothered about anything but milk (though will take some food if I spoon it in so I think he’s getting enough.) He’s not complaining about anything, he’s just not wanting to eat much...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information