Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, need some wise words

Please help, need some wise words

Hi,

I’ve been on and off the forum for a number of years with health anxiety and that’s usually been focused on my own health. I’ve had two rounds of CBT and sertraline.

Over the school holidays I’ve spent a lot of time alone with my children and this has radically refocused my anxiety on the health of my 4 year old who I am CONVINCED has cancer. He had tummy ache a couple of weeks ago and complained of tummy pain for a couple of days after that (a ‘hot tummy’ that was usually relieved by doing a poo...). Since then his appetite has been on and off and the past few days I’ve had to feed him (he’ll eat if I do) as he’s not very interested (he’ll drink plenty though especially milk and today devoured a flake bar). We’ve had a very busy summer and have been away for all but 4 days of the 4 weeks they’ve had from school. He’s also been a bit tired (but has been late to bed most nights and up first). Now I’m asking him every 30 mins if anything hurts. If he feels sick. If his tummy hurts. He always says he’s fine. I’m terrified I’m freaking him out. I’ve just googled cancer leaflets for when your child can’t be cured.

I’m on holiday and in the bathroom crying.

I’d just like some comforting words if possible.

Thanks.

Re: Please help, need some wise words

I should say today he swam for over an hour and he’s not falling asleep all over the place (despite the fact that we had to get up at 3am to fly)

You might want to be careful of passing on your HA to him.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes I’m very conscious of that. I want to take him to the doctors but I can’t m/ won’t. He’s had a number of issues- recurrent chest infections for 18 months resulting in monthly hospital visits and was assessed for autism. Thankfully these things have passed. I really don’t want to feel like this and I’m dreading him waking up in the morning for this to all start again.

It doesn't sound serious to me but I am not medically trained.

Watch and see I say.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you. It’s hard isn’t it? You just want someone to say “he’s definitely fine!” 🤦🏼*♀️ And all I can think is how vague many of the symptoms of the worst kinds of illnesses are. No one else has noticed anything...

This happens to all children, often.

You must stop googling worst case scenario's and passing your fears onto him. He'll be fine. Children have stomach aches all the time. His immune system is still developing. My youngest was ill almost every month between the ages of 2-4, but then he eventually grew out of it. You're creating the problem, not him.

My son was sick--literally--for about a third of grade 5. He had something almost every week for a month straight. We practically had to home school him. Kids get sick, let it happen.

My son is a huge, 21 year old young man, strapping and healthy as can be now.

Button1, your boy is absolutely fine. We tend to sometimes move our anxiety over to our kids, it happened to me many times. Last year I asked my almost 21 years old son ( who is still a virgin and definitely not a drug addict), to go with me and have HIV test, because I thought that he may have been poked by a HIV infected needle in the street. He did it for me, but later told me that he is truly fed up with me projecting my HA onto him! Well, he does not have HA< but he has been on OCD medication and therapy for three years now. And I am pretty sure I did it to him, during all these years of pathetic and ridiculous worries. So stop it, your boy is fine.

Believe me I’m really hating myself right now. Another holiday going down the drain. He’s happy this morning- did say he didn’t want to eat but had a yoghurt, a small bowl of dry cereal and some pear. I think eating makes him want to poo, he said he needed one after breakfast (but hasn’t done one). All his poo is ‘normal’ in appearance if quite smelly. Maybe he’s had a bug...I’ve literally not sat down this morning, I can’t stop pacing. Possibly the nerves I have around him eating don’t help.

Thanks for your support- I hate having to ask but I’d really like to not ruin the next couple of weeks for my family and more importantly not pass this horrendous issue on to my little one (why don’t I worry like this about my eldest?!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information