Thread: Anxious about PID

Anxious about PID

I already kind of discussed this in the health anxiety forum, but I figured it was more relevant to go into my worries on here as I was hoping someone might understand or be able to relate. A week or so ago I went to the GP because I still had symptoms of a UTI after taking a course of antibiotics, but I was worried it had escalated into a kidney infection as I also was having back pain, nausea and pelvic pain etc. The doctor refused to dip it there and then, and then decided frankly she thought from my description of symptoms I have PID. She didn't do an examination, feel my tummy, check for any discharge etc, she just decided based on my vague symptoms.

Seeing as I suffer from these symptoms a lot of the time due to other conditions (I have UC, a bladder condition and functional dyspepsia as well) it shocked me that she would come out with this seeing as it seemed a really odd conclusion to make suddenly, and I also haven't had intercourse in over 2 years.

I know PID can be caused by bacteria maybe and doesn't necessarily have to be caused by sex, but it's prompted me to go into health anxiety overload. I recently went to the GUM clinic, which was a 3 hour wait, and I couldn't go through with the full speculum test due to the fact I get pain down below from tenseness and my general symptoms, so she just took swabs and blood tests and sent them off. I was negative for thrush and BV.

I'm now anxious that I should have had the full check with her pressing on my vaginal walls and so forth because I'm now freaking out that I have undiagnosed PID that's been going on for years. I turned it down at the time for the same reasons (pain, tenseness, worrying about it affecting my condition) but now I feel maybe I should have just had her check to rule it out... I'm not really up for waiting another 3 hours at the GUM clinic as I don't have that kind of time, so I guess the most I can do is wait for these results and see what happens.

Are there any females here with experience of PID and does it seem likely just I do have it from someone jumping to that conclusion without examination? I know it can cause vague symptoms or none at all, but if I didn't have my conditions then it'd be a lot easier to diagnose.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading!

Re: Anxious about PID

Quote Originally Posted by LuSmith View Post
    I already kind of discussed this in the health anxiety forum, but I figured it was more relevant to go into my worries on here as I was hoping someone might understand or be able to relate. A week or so ago I went to the GP because I still had symptoms of a UTI after taking a course of antibiotics, but I was worried it had escalated into a kidney infection as I also was having back pain, nausea and pelvic pain etc. The doctor refused to dip it there and then, and then decided frankly she thought from my description of symptoms I have PID. She didn't do an examination, feel my tummy, check for any discharge etc, she just decided based on my vague symptoms.

Seeing as I suffer from these symptoms a lot of the time due to other conditions (I have UC, a bladder condition and functional dyspepsia as well) it shocked me that she would come out with this seeing as it seemed a really odd conclusion to make suddenly, and I also haven't had intercourse in over 2 years.

I know PID can be caused by bacteria maybe and doesn't necessarily have to be caused by sex, but it's prompted me to go into health anxiety overload. I recently went to the GUM clinic, which was a 3 hour wait, and I couldn't go through with the full speculum test due to the fact I get pain down below from tenseness and my general symptoms, so she just took swabs and blood tests and sent them off. I was negative for thrush and BV.

I'm now anxious that I should have had the full check with her pressing on my vaginal walls and so forth because I'm now freaking out that I have undiagnosed PID that's been going on for years. I turned it down at the time for the same reasons (pain, tenseness, worrying about it affecting my condition) but now I feel maybe I should have just had her check to rule it out... I'm not really up for waiting another 3 hours at the GUM clinic as I don't have that kind of time, so I guess the most I can do is wait for these results and see what happens.

Are there any females here with experience of PID and does it seem likely just I do have it from someone jumping to that conclusion without examination? I know it can cause vague symptoms or none at all, but if I didn't have my conditions then it'd be a lot easier to diagnose.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading!
    my sister was diagnosed with this last year along with polyps in her womb. She had those lasered off and they were benign. It turned out my sister had undiagnosed chlamydia. She has only been with the same man for over twenty years from 16 years of age and carried three full pregnancies to term whilst she had this. It was treated with antibiotics.

She thought for ages she kept getting thrush as those were her symptoms along with a descended abdomin (but that may have been from the polyps) she would also get period pains and cramping when not due on. No uti though. My sister lives in France and it took ages for a diagnoses. X

Thread Information