Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Fearing ALS

Re: Fearing ALS

Quote Originally Posted by Hijikata View Post
    You are offending me because this is a place for people to come and talk through their anxieties and get help for health anxiety. For 25 pages myself and others have tried to do that with you and instead you keep arguing, acting as if you and your symptoms are different to the literally 100 other threads for ALS. FMP has linked the actual ALS sticky countless times which you have ignored, you have been selfish enough to go to ALS forums and actually talk to people who are really suffering, all because you have twitches (which a lot of is have the exact same as you) and perceived weakness (which again a lot of people with the same fear have). Not one person who has come here with this fear has had ALS. It is an incredibly rare disease. It is not subtle. It will stop you from doing things you used to be able to do. You seem to think that your google searching is somehow the equivalent of a neurologists training? I went to three different neurologists at the height of my fear and they all basically laughed at me once they saw I could do all the strength tests. If you are ready to accept your health anxiety then this is the place for you. But if you are convinced you have ALS then it isn’t. We are not neurologists. We don’t have ALS. Seeing as how for a week now you have ignored everything that has been said to you, this place obviously isn’t helping you so why are you here?
    And with this very concise answer, very well stated, I really think this thread has done every possible thing it can. Great post, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijikata View Post
    You are offending me because this is a place for people to come and talk through their anxieties and get help for health anxiety. For 25 pages myself and others have tried to do that with you and instead you keep arguing, acting as if you and your symptoms are different to the literally 100 other threads for ALS. FMP has linked the actual ALS sticky countless times which you have ignored, you have been selfish enough to go to ALS forums and actually talk to people who are really suffering, all because you have twitches (which a lot of is have the exact same as you) and perceived weakness (which again a lot of people with the same fear have). Not one person who has come here with this fear has had ALS. It is an incredibly rare disease. It is not subtle. It will stop you from doing things you used to be able to do. You seem to think that your google searching is somehow the equivalent of a neurologists training? I went to three different neurologists at the height of my fear and they all basically laughed at me once they saw I could do all the strength tests. If you are ready to accept your health anxiety then this is the place for you. But if you are convinced you have ALS then it isn’t. We are not neurologists. We don’t have ALS. Seeing as how for a week now you have ignored everything that has been said to you, this place obviously isn’t helping you so why are you here?
    I am actually taking the advice given to heart and appreciate every post that people take the time to write to help me. I’m just trying to make sense of my symptoms and to make sense of all the contradictory information I find online and on forums.

Unfortunately, it looks as though every time somebody offers a suggestion that doesn't fit with your narrative, we get told why we, medical personnel or even sufferers are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks as though every time somebody offers a suggestion that doesn't fit with your narrative, we get told why we, medical personnel or even sufferers are wrong.
    That’s not what I want to do and I’m sorry if it comes off like that. I truly appreciate the advice given I am just a very anxious and depressed person and I always seek more reassurance.

I get you. Are you aware that seeking reassurance is unhelpful and unhealthy, though?

Not judging, it just pays to bear it in mind.

Fun fact: my leg started twitching just now as I was writing this

Yeah I know it’s not healthy.

Most of the time when it seems like I am arguing with you guys I’m just looking for somebody to tell me again why I probably don’t have ALS.

Foolishly I read ALS forums and found all kinds of testimonies contradicting the sticky on this board. ☹️

In the nicest possible way, save the ALS forums for people who really need them?

Absolutely. I am ashamed I did this. Anxiety can make you really stupid when panic sets in.

It can, I've done some really awful stuff when my own HA has been flaring.

Don't beat yourself up over it?

The ALS phobia is very hard to beat especially when you have fasciculations and stiff weak legs constantly reminding you that something might be wrong. I wish I could speak with my body and know for sure what’s going on.

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread Information