Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Fearing ALS

Re: Fearing ALS

Seymour, a word of advice.

If one person says you're being irrational, there's a good chance they're wrong. If everyone says you're being irrational, though?

If you sincerely believed you could fly, would you think people should encourage you to jump off the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Seymour, a word of advice.

If one person says you're being irrational, there's a good chance they're wrong. If everyone says you're being irrational, though?

If you sincerely believed you could fly, would you think people should encourage you to jump off the roof?
    I understand what you are saying. What I don’t understand is why everybody thinks that widespread muscle twitching and weak leg muscles absolutely can’t be ALS symptoms even though they are if you read the data.

Why is everybody acting like I’m absolutely crazy saying this?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I understand what you are saying. What I don’t understand is why everybody thinks that widespread muscle twitching and weak leg muscles absolutely can’t be ALS symptoms even though they are if you read the data.

Because muscles twitch from use or overuse as well. And if you read something over and over, you can make yourself believe something that is not true.

Respectfully, because you're acting that way. Go see your GP. Get an EMG. "Told Ya So Gang" on standby

Playing armchair psychiatrist here... Your girlfriend is pregnant. Is it safe to assume it wasn't planned? Becoming a parent and the responsibilities that come along with it are daunting under any circumstances to say the least. That is the root of all of this IMO. Time to do the responsible thing and treat your anxiety. I have real physical issues that can put me six feet under. You're doing that to yourself above ground and those around you are suffering because of it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I hear you guys, I really do. I know how this looks and sounds cause ALS is so rare.

It started with a general ill feeling and dizziness three months ago. I felt like my legs were weaker and my right arm always felt like I bumped it. I also had twitches. Then I thought the twitches and weak legs were getting better.

Then two weeks ago it hit me like a truck. My legs overnight started feeling heavy, numb, sore, and like I was walking on cotton. They burned when I lay down in bed. And then it continued to reach a point last week where I thought I would collapse. Shaking legs when going down stairs. Feeling of weakness extending to buttock area.

And now this shakiness and achiness persists and doesn’t seem to want to go away and the twitching in thighs, arms, calfs is near constant.

I’m not making this up!

Nobody thinks you're making this up, Seymour. But everything you describe can be the direct or indirect result of anxiety.

I’m not making this up!
    This is why you should stick to your original thread as it gives an overview to your situation... from your OP:

I went to the doctor about 10 days ago cause I was still mildly dizzy and I have strange sensations all over like someone flicking water on me. Happens most of the time on my leg but can also happen on arms, hands, face...

The GP did a basic neurological exam, reflexes, eye movements, walking on tip toes, all that jazz. She said everything was normal and that there was nothing indicative of MS so she didn’t want to order an MRI. She said my symptoms didn't sound like MS cause they were very mild and also MS wouldn’t present as small tingles all over that last a second but more like a whole leg tingling for hours or days.

A few days ago I went back to the same GP complaining about the same symptoms. She said I was a hypocondriac and sent me to the hospital... I ended up seeing two other doctors who did basic neuro exams and listened to my symptoms and diagnosed me with extreme health anxiety. Nobody even wants to send me for an MRI and everyone basically called me crazy. I had to see a psychiatrist in urgent care
    Nuff said....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You had to see a psychiatrist in urgent care....Do you really want a repeat of this and face a potential question mark over your mental health stability when you are soon going to be a father and health professionals are involved?

I can see that you don't care about anyone else's experiences on here but think about your unborn child and at least explore the anxiety angle because otherwise you could regret it as your gf may just have had enough. Don't you think she would be urging you to make a neuro appt if she were worried?

Well this is the thing. They diagnosed me with health anxiety three months ago before I actually felt that weak. The legs thing is new. People treated me crazy because I cried.

I think people are usually dismissive with anxious people who bring up symptoms. Especially something as rare as ALS.

It’s not that I don’t believe people it’s just that I haven’t seen one story of anxiety that resembles mine symptoms-wise.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information