Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Fearing ALS

Re: Fearing ALS

I have tried this week to go out more. I have been to appointments with my girlfriend, went to eat at the restaurant with my gf and parents which would have been impossible two weeks ago but I went even though I felt sick, and yesterday I went to my sisters-in-law’s and helped with choosing baby clothing.

These might be baby steps but I am trying.

As long as you keep trying. Keep doing a little more each day.
    How do you feel a) before you go out b) when you’re out c) when you get home?

I’m usually very anxious before going out. When I’m out it is a bit better but I analyze my body sensations in my head so I’m not 100% there mentally but often I find that talking to people gets my mind off my body a bit and usually when I get back home I have more energy. Like yesterday after coming back home I actually felt pretty good. My legs hurt less and I felt hopeful. Struggling now to keep that mood going.

What I’m mostly struggling with is when I feel better let’s say my legs I will be in a state of monitoring them constantly to make sure they still feel better and if I get a twitch or pain I will get discouraged and become anxious again.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I’m usually very anxious before going out. When I’m out it is a bit better but I analyze my body sensations in my head so I’m not 100% there mentally but often I find that talking to people gets my mind off my body a bit and usually when I get back home I have more energy. Like yesterday after coming back home I actually felt pretty good. My legs hurt less and I felt hopeful. Struggling now to keep that mood going.
    Keep getting up, going out, moving, talking to people. You are using ur body and distracting your mind from anxious thoughts. You see it’s already helping so keep it going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I’m mostly struggling with is when I feel better let’s say my legs I will be in a state of monitoring them constantly to make sure they still feel better and if I get a twitch or pain I will get discouraged and become anxious again.
    Seymour,

I would recommend some mindfulness practice to help with this. Download the Headspace app and work through the anxiety module. It focuses directly on this idea of monitoring and not lending your thoughts to your body sensations. It really helped me overcome this same issue.

Best Wishes.

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

I feel like I set myself up for failure. For example yesterday evening I felt better with no burning in legs and I was foolishly hoping I would wake up today feeling 100% but I’m not and I’m still trembling and twitching so now I’m getting depressed about it cause I hoped my symptoms would have gone away...

I feel like I set myself up for failure.
    Doing what you're currently doing, you most certainly are! You spend all day ruminating on your symptoms and seeking reassurance on the forum. Here's a suggestion. LOG OFF! It's doing absolutely no good and in fact keeping you from even having a chance at recovery.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Is it a good idea to do pushups and squats in order to gain some strength back?

What do you think?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread Information