Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

If you had bowel concerns that you feel are not being addressed by the GP services. I’m tempted to get a referral letter from a private gp and have a colonoscopy. But feel so scared.

Re: What would you do?

How many GPs have you seen? Do you think your health anxiety is influencing your thought patterns?

I don’t know anymore. I’m getting cramps and diarrhea out of nowhere, random bouts. Feel like they’re not taking me seriously. I’m 38.

Said it’s probably ibs but I thought they have to use an exclusion technique before coming to that conclusion.

It also depends on your age and other symptoms. I get random cramps and diarrhoea every few weeks; as far as I can tell it's a combination of stress and possibly food intolerances. It's a nuisance, but after well over twenty years it doesn't bother me any more.

I just keep thinking what if... I have a little boy. What if not doing anything means I don’t catch the big C in time? I know I do suffer with anaemia too, I have Lyme disease so I always thoughts it’s because of that and being a vegetarian

What would you do?

Probably add this to one of the other bowel issue threads you started and talk to the doctor about getting help for your anxiety

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Also, and I know this is petty, I wish people would stop implying their lives have greater value or meaning because they have kids.

The rest of us have hopes and dreams and achievements, too.

Yeah it’s petty I’m not saying my life is more important but that’s my thing, everyone has their own thing I guess

Does it have any pattern? Perhaps keep a diary of when it happens. I'll tend to get an upset stomach if I have a change in eating or alcohol intake, too much dairy, with anxiety or due to periods.
    I think having children gives your life a different meaning, and lots of people worry more about their health due to their feelings of needing to be there for their kids. I haven't got kids but I've seen it with friends and family, and also on here. I can understand that.
    Sorry, I digress. What would I do? I'd try to figure out when it happens, whether my anxiety was at the root of it, and whether I genuinely needed a second opinion. If so, I'd be inclined to see a different GP and ask for a referral if they think it's indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady123 View Post
    I just keep thinking what if... I have a little boy. What if
    There is the biggest indicator of what is going on. To be fair to your current doctor, you could see the preeminent gastroenterologist in the world, and ultimately not be satisfied with his answer until you can address catastrophic thinking.

The line of thinking in evidence in this sentence indicated the anxiety is still very powerful for you, and that alone can cause the very physical symptoms you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information